developing headaches underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawrence914

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've been experiencing headaches underwater for a while now. Before a dive, I'm fine. Sinuses are clear. Equalization is fine throughout the dive. But these headaches are pounding by the time I'm finished with 45 minutes u/w. I've taken to gobbling some tylenol before I dive in the morning.

Went to a doctor and he pronounced me fit. Got an eye exam, and I'm 20/20. My doctor does flight medicine, and he's also dive qualified. :)

Is it possible that my new(est) mask could be causing the headaches? Maybe my eyes don't like the glass?

-Lawrence

P.S. Yes, I know that most of us probably aren't doctors. I promise not to sue if you tell me anything crazy. :D

Hi Lawrence 914,

Just a few possibilities to consider (although I'm not a Dr.,etc...and only have the info in your post to go on):

Regarding the new mask: Could the strap be too tight?
Are the lenses in some way distorted?

Other possible causes for headaches:
1)being "underhydrated"-are you drinking enough proper fluids before the dive?

2) CO2 buildup-are you breathing deeply/slowly during the dive?

I'd imagine some of our medical folks will reply shortly.
take care,

Mike

Hi Mike! Thank you for replying.

The lenses sure *look* flat, unscratched and clear. I don't see. It's possible my strap could be too tight. I didn't think about the strap.

1. dehydration isn't an issue for me. I drink water like... uhhh... a fish... before diving. :)
2. I like to believe that my breathing is deep and controlled. This isn't a case of getting bad air from one dive shop... it's happened from more than one.

I guess I could just go dig out my mask and wear it for an hour or so around the house. That might tell me if it's the strap.

-Lawrence

Lawrence914:
2. I like to believe that my breathing is deep and controlled. This isn't a case of getting bad air from one dive shop... it's happened from more than one.

I think MikeD's point was that if you breathe too slowly, you can build up CO2, which will give you a wicked headache. This is not CO2 coming from bad air- it's CO2 coming from normal cellular respiration that would otherwise be exhaled.

If this might be the case, you have to find the balance between efficient, deep breathing and meeting your metabolic needs. Letting CO2 build up in your body will not only give you a headache, it has also been linked to an increase in symptoms of narcosis and a decreased threshold for CNS oxygen toxicity.

One thing to try is to keep breathing deeply, but don't force yourself to breathe slowly. Let your breathing rate sort itself out. If your headaches are from CO2, then that should take care of them.

There may be other things to consider, and if you don't get any other responses here, I'd definitely call DAN before diving again just to see what they say.

Cameron

Back
Top Bottom