Detuning a regulator for octoups duty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have subsequently found in Atomic documentation that the Z1 should be set up to break at 1.1"-1.4" H2O while the SS1 is speced at 1.2"-1.8". Setting the Z1 at 1.8" with the adjuster out should work for me.

Too much. I set the alternate the same as the primary (with adjuster all the way out) at the least cracking pressure allowed without free flow according to specs. Before I get into the water/jump/whenever, I set the adjuster all the way in for the second stage that is out of my mouth and the adjuster all the way out (easiest breathing) for the second stage I am using in my mouth. I don't differentiate in adjustment between the "primary" or "alternate", neither should free flow with the cracking pressure knob all the way in and breath easiest with the knob out. I actually switch between the primary and alternate underwater occasionally. If I have to share air, I don't want to get any less air or any more effort from the alternate (I give the primary to the OOA diver).

What is it currently set at (adjuster all the way out, and all the way in)?
The reg would free-flow upon entry with the adjuster all the way in.
It is now adjusted to about 1.8" adjusted out. I didn't check with the adjuster in. But the reg is not free-flowing after being bounced in the water bucket. It still breathes OK for an octopus.

The reg would free-flow upon entry with the adjuster all the way in.
It is now adjusted to about 1.8" adjusted out. I didn't check with the adjuster in. But the reg is not free-flowing after being bounced in the water bucket. It still breathes OK for an octopus.
If it spent much time adjusted all the way it that puts a lot of pressure on it, you can keep it poorly tuned but you will have to keep the proviso “for an octo”.

If it spent much time adjusted all the way it that puts a lot of pressure on it, you can keep it poorly tuned but you will have to keep the proviso “for an octo”.
Luckily the Atomic puts load on the seat only when the reg is pressurized. I figure if it is OK for the SS1 it should be OK for the Z1.

Luckily the Atomic puts load on the seat only when the reg is pressurized. I figure if it is OK for the SS1 it should be OK for the Z1.
I know how they work, why risk it for a disposable part?

I know how they work, why risk it for a disposable part?
Risk what exactly? Sounds like an adjustment issue that was corrected with adjustment.

Risk what exactly? Sounds like an adjustment issue that was corrected with adjustment.
Temporarily at best but it’s possible that the seat wasn’t damaged, I doubt it but it is possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom