Detroit Area????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mahhz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, it appears that I will be uprooting again, this time from beautiful Savannah, GA up to the Pontiac, MI area. I was wondering what diving opportunities there are in the area. I know I'm going to have to keep an extremely open mind, as I've been spoiled with the amazing local diving we have here, but my career definitely comes first (unfortunately!). From the looks of it, I'm probably going to start looking into wreck diving, simply because I don't find the thrill of diving in a quarry. I think I'm going to give Ice Diving a try as well.

Well, it appears that I will be uprooting again, this time from beautiful Savannah, GA up to the Pontiac, MI area. I was wondering what diving opportunities there are in the area. I know I'm going to have to keep an extremely open mind, as I've been spoiled with the amazing local diving we have here, but my career definitely comes first (unfortunately!). From the looks of it, I'm probably going to start looking into wreck diving, simply because I don't find the thrill of diving in a quarry. I think I'm going to give Ice Diving a try as well.

Welcome to Michigan. Wow to find work in Michigan right now is just amazing.. There are lots of diving opputunities in MI. Port Sanilac is about 2 hours from pontiac. with 2of three wreck charters going out of there every weekend. Your also not far from the River. except I wouldnt reccomend that unless your a very skilled diver. SWIFT current.
Ice diving is very popular and can offer some of the best viz. I however I have never wanted to try it. Michmikescuba ice dives and he will chime in if you want to get involved in that. Dont totally dismiss quarries. Yes their not always fun. but there a great place to practice skills, weighting and other things. or just to meet up with some fellow GLWC members to just get wet. Well I have to go Im heading up to Thunder Bay to go Wreck diving.

Good Luck. also if your in the area by OCT. you can join us at our fall MeetnGreet it is a sticky at the top of this page if you want to read about it.

Thanks for the tips.....I'm hoping to contact the NOAA folks up at Thunder Bay to see if I can do some diving with them. If I accept this job, my start date will be Sept. 8th, so I'll definitely plan on making it to the Meet 'n Greet. I wouldn't mind doing some of the river diving, I used to go diving occasionally in the Cooper River just outside of Charleston, SC to do some Megalodon teeth hunting, very dark and swift water.....complete with alligators and bull sharks. I'm just glad to hear that there is at least some diving opportunities up that way, or I don't know if I'd be able to take it!

Anyone else have any input? How about the shops....what are some good ones, and what are some to avoid?

Detroit is closed for business. (Unless you are from the Government)

Nope! Not from the government! Just an average joe trying to make an honest living.....I am myself surprised that I'm ending up in Detroit, at least I'll be close to home, I grew up in Cleveland. My wife on the other hand, is going to have a rude awakening this winter, she's never seen any substantial amount of snow.

Well, it appears that I will be uprooting again, this time from beautiful Savannah, GA up to the Pontiac, MI area. From the looks of it, I'm probably going to start looking into wreck diving, simply because I don't find the thrill of diving in a quarry. I think I'm going to give Ice Diving a try as well.

If your looking for a great Wrech Diving and or a Ice Diving course contact James Mott @ Sea the World Scuba center in Farmington Hills - He's da man with the hook up :D

There are great shops through out Southeastern Michigan. Sea the World and Rec are a few. Most of our shops are very active and do a great job encouraging people to get wet.

The fifty days of sunshine will be the thing your wife notices.

Hopefully your new career opportunity works out for you. As has already been mentioned - lots of diving opportunities in the great lakes ... particularly some amazing wreck diving. If you have your passport handy, you might consider a couple of trips over to the other side of the river. There is a bunch of us that are pretty active with diving the river and also do some regular trips to the wrecks closer to our shores. We dive the river in a bunch of spots that have varying amounts of current/vis/wrecks so that you can do the river as a beginner (suggested to have an experienced buddy for the first couple of times - which we have lots of) all the way up to stuff that makes the seasoned river divers speed up their breathing rate. PM if you are interested in doing a dive at some point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom