Detecting bubbles after dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A_Buhlmann

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a med student with a lot of interest in diving medicine.
I was wondering if anyone ( Maybe Dr. Deco) has experience in detecting venous bubbles with ultrasound systems?
Can I use a vascular ( no image, just sound) ultrasound to detect bubbles after a dive? I don't really have the money to purchase a $3000 portable doppler ultrasound( Yet :) ).
I know they are designed to measure flow but can a computer "translate" the signal to bubble quantification?
Any help is appreciated!

You could talk to the DDRC in Plymouth UK. One of their Doctors gave a talk at my club and played bubble recordings to frighten us.

O'Dive - The first connected sensor for personalised dives

This might be of interest if you haven't seen it already.
I saw it just before I created this post, from what I read it is exactly like a (fancy) vascular doppler. The downside is having to pay for "analysis" after buying the product... I would like to have more autonomy in processing the data if I decide in the future to publish an article or something. Thanks anyway

Or this: Edan Vascular Fetal Doppler - Free Shipping Tiger Medical, Inc

Start with the 8 Mhz probe option. You will find that you can do a LOT with this model. You can easily identify the carotid artery vs. the jugular vein. You will hear bubbles as distinct 'clicks'.

I used to be all wonked-out about bubbles, but I don't dive like that anymore...

Vascular Microbubbles Sensor
Nice to know! I saw an 10MHz model, do you think it will do it?
Do you know any software that can provide a "visual" spectral of sound recorded or do I have to "train my ears" to grade the bubbles?
Thanks!

I am not sure if you know what exactly you want to study in relation to the venous bubbles, but if you have a hypothesis, you can come up with a grant proposal and see if DAN or one of the other diver related companies will cover the costs of the more expensive equipment and maybe a trip or two to an exotic location to study divers :wink:

I saw an 10MHz model, do you think it will do it?
Yes, most likely. Make sure that what you are looking at has an analog output.

Remember that 10MHz has an even shallower 'detection' penetration than 8 MHz. Honestly, I doubt that it matters.
Compare the specs, call the company. You could also look for someone who is a good a LabVIEW programmer to really help you out. Team efforts rule.

Lots of us use LabVIEW for apps that require sensing external analog variables. Sadly, once I retired, my 'seat' stayed with the company. I can no longer generate stand-alone programs...

Sadly, once I retired, my 'seat' stayed with the company.
I feel your pain. I used to have access to darn near any library in the world.....but no more.

Back
Top Bottom