Destin/St. Andrews - Wondering if very early morning dive worth it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I expect to start my vacation by driving down to the panhandle on the 16th of July. I'd like to squeeze in a couple of dives at St. Andrews and the Destin jetties on the 17th and 18th. I've never dove them before...did some snorkeling long ago. It looks, however, like high tide is about 6AM in the morning at both locations on both days. If I got in the water around 5AM (arghh!), it would be before official sunrise. Just wondering what to expect. I've only done one night dive before and am wondering if the night creatures will have "gone to bed" and the day creatures will just barely be stirring.

I suppose one good thing would be that there won't be many or any fishing lines in the water.

Also, can anyone give me a dive plan idea? I am thinking that at St. Andrews, I'd put in at the ocean beach, head for the bottom at the start of the jetty, and head back to the kiddie pool, hugging the bottom and staying very close to the jetty, exiting at what I think people call the kiddie pool. Don't recall how Destin is laid out. Is it best to do one side of the jetty and then the other, or just stick to one or the other (and if so, which one).

Any and all info greatly appreciated!
Dave

Oh, and by the way, I suppose dive flags are needed for both. Is that also true for snorkeling, as the week after I may be passing back through their with a friend who doesn't dive but may like to snorkel.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I have been diving that Destin E. Finger Jetty for several decades. I enjoy the dive, a bit bland but heck, where else can you get run over by a 50 foot sportfisher loaded with bikini babes, or chased by an angry bull shark, or see a dozen octopuses, or crabs eating a dead fish head or see nothing but a beer can with a confused hermit crab? Can you imagine that some silly people think Bonare or Cayman is good diving, silly them, what do they know.

I don't do the death march, too old and smart for that. I take my boat around and anchor. You dive the jetty from the inside finger, submerging right away and swimming out along the rock wall and following it downward past some metal box looking thing into the deep hole (about 60ish feet) and then kinda around to the seaward side. Turn around, with decent viz, scout out into the sand for dead sand dollars and other goodies, then get back on the rocks, reverse your dive and return to the protected inside--the arm pit--I call it. DO NOT--repeat--do not--surface out in the boat channel unless you want to become chum. Tow a flag, be aware of stupid fisherman. You dive the finger jetty, not the seaward wall, the finger jetty!

N

I'm thinking about buying a pneumatic tire steel garden cart to take my stuff down to the put-in. I'm too old as well. Don't know if there's enough crime there that I would have any reason to worry about it being gone when I return, but suspect that it would be safe.

The walk isn't that bad.

Diving the early morning high tides is prefferable, less crowds, less sweltering heat, still tons and tons of marine life. Typically more cooperative water conditions too.

The thing about St Andrews is that you can't get into the park until 8am. You can either buy the yr pass for $80 or rent a camping space for about $24... so that you can get the gate code. The year pass you have to get from the ranger office at the entrance. I think it closes at 5pm. As for the renting the camping space, that can be done online. Scubaboard won't let me post the link so just go to reserveamerica.com and look up St. Andrews. It's an awesome dive (viz and weather permitting, of course)as far as beach dives go. We dive it every chance we get.

Yeah, I was just checking that out (Reserve America). I would probably drive down on Thursday and check in, and go diving Friday morning.

I'm thinking about buying a pneumatic tire steel garden cart to take my stuff down to the put-in. I'm too old as well. Don't know if there's enough crime there that I would have any reason to worry about it being gone when I return, but suspect that it would be safe.

Your better off suiting up and walking 100yards. Go straight to the water and float/walk to the jetties. I have pulled a cart and I would rather walk with the gear. You will not have to worry about getting ripped off. Make sure to use the shower at the entrance to cool off before proceeding.

What are the water temps there now? Planning a trip to Destin, PCB in two weeks. NEVER dove in salt water. Planning on shore dives and then hitting some springs at Ponce De Leon. What is St Andrews? good place to camp?
TONS of questions... not sure where to start?

sorry for hijacking your post, seemed like a good place to start....
-Tim

SeaYoda pulls his "land yacht" of gear down to the jetties all the time and leaves a 2nd tank in the cart and no one messes with it.

those garden carts don't have big enough tires to haul much gear. you'll want one with bigger tires.

he's gone one similar to the one in the below pic. you can buy them over at Gulf Breeze Tackle Wheeleez (R) Beach Cart

wheelez_beach_cart.jpg

Nice (and pricey). Thanks for the link. If my beach transportation doesn't work very well at St. Andrews on Thur morning, I may swing by Gulf Breeze later in the day to get a Wheeleez for Friday's Destin dive.

Back
Top Bottom