Destin snorkeling pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave C

Contributor
Reaction score
large.jpg

This is the first time I've posted in the Florida forum, although I have lurked here a long time. Here is the link to some uw photos I have taken in Destin over the past couple years:

http://www.pbase.com/dave_clausen/destin_florida_underwater

These were all taken while snorkeling at the Destin jetties or Crystal Pier pilings. While they certainly can't compare to SeaYoda's excellent scuba photos, they may be of interest.

As I am an avid snorkeler and travel to Destin every year, I am quite concerned over the extreme sanding-in that appears to have happened at the jetties. I was there in Nov. (didn't snorkel because all the good tides were at night that time of year), and it appeared then that the only place with rocks that you could snorkel was the outer part of the main e. jetty that extends into the Gulf. The finger jetty, where most people do their snorkeling, was completely sanded-in. You could stand on dry sand where previously there would have been 10-15 of water. I will be going to Destin in June. Do you think the snorkeling situation will have improved by then? My favorite spots to snorkel were off the end of the finger jetty and on the outside of the finger jetty. The inside of the jetty was usually murkier, had less diverse fish life, and was often crowded with novice snorkelers. I'm thinking that maybe with the strong currents that occur off the end of the finger jetty, the sand there will wash out. I read a previous post here that the dredging that was occurring in the Pass was not going to remove any sand from the finger jetty. This is a shame, because this sand around the jetty will eventually end up in the boat channel. It would also be a shame if the finger jetty were not snorkelable at all this year. This was a great place to introduce the wonders of sea to young kids in a very safe environment.

Fantastic pictures!

I've spotted the local turtle at the Destin Jetties on 2 or 3 occasions, but never when I had a camera at my ready - figures eh? I hope it comes around this year.

Very nice!

Thats a nice shot. I've been diving the jetties like crazy the last few weeks, was out there every day this weekend, but still havent really seen any good sea life. Guess I'm the unlucky one.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. They are very nice.

DaveC:
...can't compare to SeaYoda's excellent scuba photos ... I will be going to Destin in June. Do you think the snorkeling situation will have improved by then? ...
Thanks for the compliment - but you got the turtle and I don't :D.

The local dive shops tried to get the Mayor to get the sand moved because they are losing business - no luck. We'll have to wait for the tides to do the work I'm afraid. I've noticed an "eddy" of water flowing South along the beach and West along the North side of the finger jetty. Over time this will help pull some sand away from the finger jetty - who knows how quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom