Destin Jetties dive report and pics - 5/12/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I decided to give the jetties another look today. High tide was around 9am so I got to the parking area about 8:30 to lug the gear to the water. Parking was no problem - May is not a busy tourist month around here. I met some people on the way in that were fairly new divers and wanted to know where I was going and how conditions were. I told them that I didn't expect too great of conditions and the first question was "Why, because of the oil?". No oil to be seen anywhere around the Destin area yet we must have struck a secret gusher at the jetties :) .

The water looked nice from the surface. Not many divers, just a few that probably had finished up a class. A couple boat loads of snorkelers / snuba-ites and a few families made up the rest of the crowd.

j1-5.jpg

Under the surface, things were pretty ugly. Viz was about 8 to 10 feet with lots of particles floating around. I went down to 40 feet and did not see or feel any better water. Water temp was 73* at 30 feet.

j2-5.jpg

I spent the rest of the hour trying to get decent pictures through the crud. There are no award winners but here is what I salvaged:

j3-5.jpg

j4-5.jpg

j5-5.jpg

j6-5.jpg

j7-5.jpg

j8-5.jpg

j9-5.jpg

I had brought the extra tank for dive #2 but decided not to waste the air on such bad conditions. Maybe the water will clear up again one day?

Glad you made the effort Bill. Sorry I couldn't make it out there with you today. Maybe one day we will get some clear water at the jetties. Let's give it a try again soon!

Thanks for the report, lookin to hit some salt this weekend maybe :)

Thanks for the report and pics. Been wondering about the conditions there recently. It's so frustrating to have such beautiful wrasse posing for you in such terrible conditions. Like taking photos of a supermodel in a garbage can.

the Hermet crab picture is a winner. maybe a little photo shop to reduce the scatter and put it on the wall.

#5 and #6 are juvenile scorpion fish, right?

I think that was a blenny - it looked like some phase of a seaweed blenny.

That surface shot does look awesome. I bought a new steel plate for summer gulf diving. I am in the process of swapping out my harness from the aluminum to the steel. Between a steel HP 100 and the steel plate I won't need to wear any weights, even with a 7ml. I haven't tried it yet but based on my prior statistics, I needed 4lbs with a 3ml and 6lbs with a 7ml, so a 6lb steel plate should make it just right. I need to go and test this theory however. I also need to make sure I am balanced. I can't wait to try it out :D

Back
Top Bottom