Destin Jetties dive report 7/2/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The high tide at the jetties today was early - 7:30 AM. I'm glad the dive was in the morning because the weatherman has been threatening rain almost every day and we got some thunderstorms this afternoon. The tourist traffic was low as Gulf-Gulper and I drove to the jetties. Parking was terrible - there were lots of cars there already at that early hour. We got our gear on and waddled to the water to find a snorkel boat and two classes in the water. The color was a pretty blue and seemed clear in the shallows. We dropped down to find about 30' viz. The water is still a little more hazy than usual but not bad. The particle load was down but not gone. Temperature was 82 degrees at 50'. I dove in a t-shirt and trunks and felt no cold. In some places there were slight currents that did not match the tide flow and depending on where you were they either worked for you or against you. The flow was not bad, just a steady slow push. All the usuals were there - damsels, toads, pigs, puffers, crabs, jacks, wrasses, pins, ladys. There were balls of little bait fish all over as well. The only bad part of the dive was when we were about to exit the water near the wall along the access. We were floating with our dive flag in 4' of water and some idiot in a boat backed up near us. He realized he was getting in too shallow and hit the gas, swinging the stern within 5' of me. I felt the push from the props as he churned away from us. No harm no foul but pretty stupid. I should have taken his picture but I was kinda dumbfounded at what he did. Here are some pics from the good part of the dive:

Thanks for the report. The water does look like it's getting better. Thanks for the updates. Hopefully I can get down there again soon. I like the full landscape shots too.

Matt

Sounds like fun.

The boaters out there do get pretty careless. The one/only good thing about the snorkel barges is that the captain on board usually spends his time screaming at boaters keeping them off the dive flags. I guess one got by him.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom