Destin Jetties dive report 6/7/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got up early and put all my gear together, including the strobe replacement and the broken pony buckle. After getting the gear ready I headed to the jetties expecting no one to be there to dive with. I got a good parking spot, geared up, and headed across the sand. When I got to the water, I found a buddy to dive with. Trever was there and we joined forces to enter the emerald abyss (all 55' of it anyway :D). The water temperature dropped from my last dive - it was 76 degrees (had been 83). I was still comfortable with no wet suit so all was well. I would give the viz a 25' - 30' with haze. The usual fish and crabs were out in force. I saw my first SHARK while diving today - of course it was dead and providing lunch for several of the local creatures. We got all the way out past the second anchor and turned the dive. We got back on the North side of the finger jetty and I still had some air to get rid of so we played around a little with the pinfish who returned the favor as we ended the dive. I was standing in the shallow area talking to Trever and the pinfish attacked my feet. I guess they thought my veins looked like worms or something. Those buggars can sting when they get up a good head of steam! I floated my way back to the entrance and did the walk across the sand thing. I went to ScubaTech to get a tank fill and Trever was there too. Are you following me????? :D

It was a good dive today, can't wait till Saturday. Sorry, no pictures because the gallery and attachments are still down.

Thanks for the report, too bad the shark was dead. I'm still waiting on a live one to come around when I have the camera - and hopefully not a stringer of fish :14:

LiteHedded:
you know...
you spend entirely too much time at those jetties
:D
Who's counting?????? :D

I'm trying an alternate site to host my pictures and post them here:

67shark.jpg

67pigschool.jpg

67trevercrab.jpg

67Trever.jpg

Great pics as always

photohikedive:
Saturday??? What is happening Saturday?
Have you checked the trips forum?
All that work has numbed your diving brain :D.

Great pics. I guess that your shark was one some boat dumped there?

We went on a dry land dive this past Sunday, how did we do that? Went to the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta and it cost as much as most days on a dive boat would.
Bottom time there was 1hr 20min. It was really pretty good, my two favorite not make that three fav's there are # 1 Whale Sharks, 4 of them! I spent atleast 20minutes sitting down under them in the gallery just watching them and reliving my dive 2 years ago when I saw one. #2 the Baluga (spelling??) whales, they are so friendly and are graceful in the water. Another gallery sitting for atleast 15-20 minutes. My hubby had to pull me away from these two tanks. # 3 a very small tank but equally fascinating to me the Leafy Weedfish and the Stalks Weedfish (don't think that is their name, but that is what they looked like) These were the most interesting to me as they look like a seahorse that has grown branches and leaves like a tree. Really cool looking.

I am all packed and ready to go to Dominica Day after tommorrow and looking forward to some really great diving. I hope I can take some really great pics there to post. I have a new camera haven't had it on a dive yet. I have been playing with it alot though in hopes I will be comfortable with it.

I will be back weekend after, have a great weekend and week! Dive, Dive, Dive.

Cindy

Great pictures, looks like the visibility is improving out that way.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom