Destin Jetties dive report 3/18/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe:
What is the deal with diving along the southermost tip of the east side of the pass, along those rocks. Or on the west side of the pass? Any idea how deep the water is on the beach side or the pass side on the west jetties? Obvisouly its a long walk from the parking lot, but with a wheeled bin, it might be possible. Or maybe from a kayak.
I've never been along there - mostly due to its remote location (too much walking :D). I would think a boat would get you there but there are fishermen out on the rocks quite often. That area gets a lot of wave action - I've seen dolphin surfing on waves in that spot.

Did you see my note about lunch and diving Thursday in the other thread?

SeaYoda:
I've never been along there - mostly due to its remote location (too much walking :D). I would think a boat would get you there but there are fishermen out on the rocks quite often. That area gets a lot of wave action - I've seen dolphin surfing on waves in that spot.

Did you see my note about lunch and diving Thursday in the other thread?

this might inspire dirty looks, but is there any spearfishing to be done in that area?

photohikedive:
this might inspire dirty looks, but is there any spearfishing to be done in that area?
I'm sure it has been done. The finger jetty area should be off limits, there used to be a lot of swimmers / snorkelers there. I don't know what it's going to be like with all the changes. I've only ever seen just a few fish worth hunting in that area anyway. I'm not sure what lurks closer to the Gulf where the real fishing seems to be taking place. I have heard of divers seeing and fishermen catching sharks out there. Something must be getting their attention.

jviehe
I saw your reply about Thursday - PM sent.

I am curious. I do not want to go taking a "pet" fish that people have been diving to see for years, but, I would like to get some fresh food on occasion

photohikedive:
I am curious. I do not want to go taking a "pet" fish that people have been diving to see for years, but, I would like to get some fresh food on occasion
The only thing I've heard that continues to be seen around there is a turtle, who I've never seen in several years. The fish come and go - that's part of the fun, you never know what you'll see on a dive. I've been tempted to become a hunter by several flounder I've seen. So far they've been safe - just pictures :D.

FL has the most ridiculous spearfishing regulations. Its illegal to spear within a few hundred feet off beaches, piers, jetties, ect. Angling is allowed though!?

I've heard that it may be legal to take fish gig-style, as long as the spear doesn't have any propulsion method(no bands/pneumatics). Dunno how true that is...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom