Destin Jetties dive report 3/18/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Nice day for a saltwater dive! The dredges were way up near the bridge as Gulf-Gulper and I headed to the water.

This is the time of year that the walk to the water is at its worst. You still have to wear a wet suit because of the water temperatures but the air temperatures and sun cook you as you walk across the sand. To top it off, the walk to the water is longer due to the new sand placed by the dredging. We went straight to the water instead of walking along the beach to the finger jetty. The water felt great after even that "short" of a walk in the sun. There is no gradual decline in sand along the new beach - you are at 2' for about a yard or two and then a steep drop-off. We floated on our backs along the beach until we reached the finger jetty. There is a slight ledge in the corner between the jetty and the beach. After resting from the swim over, we began the dive.

The sand has washed out a little on the North side of the jetty since my last dive. The big iron box is now exposed again and the rocks appear out of the sand in that area. The sand is still pretty packed between the rocks near the point. Not many fish out yet - saw Belted Sandfish, young Sandperch, rare small Stone Crabs, a few anemone, and one Southern Stingray. The topography has changed around the anchor area - I'll need a good viz day to get my bearings again. The trough area looks more cleaned out. Where the "road" was, there is a wall of that same black rock. It doesn't look like flat asphalt so I don't know if what I thought was chunks of roadway were just flat versions of this rock or if this wall is made of piles of asphalt. The rocks near the anchor seem more piled up in a ridge like formation. I didn't see the bike anywhere. Viz was 15'-20' with a lot of particles and some seaweed. Water temperature was 63 degrees at 55'. The deepest I got today was 58'. The currents were very strange, unpredictable, and at times pretty strong. They went from nothing to flowing out to flowing in - almost seemed like a whirlpool. We ended the dive at 45 minutes - I had sucked my air down pretty good fighting the currents to get pictures and chasing after the Stingray.

After the dive we went back to ScubaTech for air fills and to give them a report for their snorkel operation plans. We told them it looked pretty dangerous for snorkelers at the finger jetty. Steve said that several operators had asked the Mayor about removing the sand on the North side of the jetty. The Mayor said that the dredging was a Corps of Engineers operation and to change their plans would take an act of congress. The plans are to leave the sand where it is around the jetty. Carla says the sand that is piled up (on land) near the jetties is a holding area until permission from the EPA is gained to use it for beach re-nourishment - ?I thought they already had that?.

Here are some pictures:

Great report SeaYoda

Seems as though the Destin Jetties is still a viable and enjoyable divesite, with possibly new experiences awaiting us with weird currents and new topography? Can't wait till the next time I get out there.

I can't wait for some clear water so I can get a good overall look at the changes. The wall of black rock may make good shelter for fish to hang out by. The flow changes will make the dive like new too.

you guys have me chomping at the bit. The closing paperwork has been to FL and should be half signed, and here tomorrow. Just some final lawyer work, and the time to load a truck, and I will be diving the jetties myself. Looking forward to seeing you guys down there.

Comon down, all the cool kids are doin it! :wink:

Ditto!

diver doh:
Yo-Da!
You coulda said something about heading that way.... butt then my weekend was ruined by antibiotics :(
Jeff
I said it in about three threads, where were YOU? :D

I didn't know for sure until Thursday afternoon that the dredges were finished near the jetties or who was able to go. I made alternate plans to go to Vortex if the jetties/bridge were a wash out.

Sorry about the antibiotics. Maybe next time you'll be in good enough health to make it.

What is the deal with diving along the southermost tip of the east side of the pass, along those rocks. Or on the west side of the pass? Any idea how deep the water is on the beach side or the pass side on the west jetties? Obvisouly its a long walk from the parking lot, but with a wheeled bin, it might be possible. Or maybe from a kayak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom