Destin Jetties 7-1-6 and 7-2-6 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A friend of mine, Mikey P, had a condo in Destin over the weekend and I was allowed a slice of floor to stay on during the nights. I took full advantage of the locations close proximaty to Destin's jetties.

7-1-6 Destin Jetty Dive Report

Saturday's high tides were predicted at 12:30PM, so we met up with the rest of our group at 12Noon at the parking area. When we arrived SeaYoda, Natebrr, Hannah(sp?), Pufferfish, and Wayward Son(w/wife and daughter diving as well). There were a few hangups pre-dive, coupled with getting all the gear on the beach, we didn't start the dive until ~2PM I'd imagine. Visibility was nice at 25-35' and the water was a very comfortable 84F. Most of the group dove in swimming trunks only. There were quite a few fish schooling the jetties this weekend and a few fish we don't see nearly so often. We spotted a 3' baracuda as well as a few legal sized Vermillion snapper(stupid FL spearfishing laws...) along with the typical pinfish, pigfish, mangroves, ect. We dove our way to both anchors and explored west of the shellbed before turning the dive. I hit a max depth of 59' and the dive lasted for 54 minutes. Due to starting so late, we opted out of the second dive. Later in the day, we were playing volleyball on the beach infront the hotel and a pod of 6-7 manatees swam by on the beach. Pretty amazing and totally unexpected!

Pics at http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album136

7-2-6 Destin Jetty Dive Reports

Sunday's high tides were hitting at 8:45AM, so Mikey P and I met up at the parking at 8AM in the morning with kchFLA, jetjunky, reefhound, another one of their buddies. Skies were overcast and visibility was slightly less than the previous day because of it at 20-30'. We enjoyed much of the same fauna we saw on the previous days dive, with the addition of a very cool flying gunard near the southernmost anchor. We also collected a bunch of sand dollars from the shellbed. Our dive lasted 47 minutes and we hit a depth of 59'.

Everyone ran their empty tanks back to the parking lot and picked up full tanks for a second dive. The sun was peaking through more and more and it seemed to help visibility a bit. We enjoyed the typical fauna and lots of schooling fish around the jetties. I briefed the divers on the possibility of a quick tidal swing and what to expect if it happens and recommended a turnaround pressure slightly more conservative than our previous dive. Luckily, we never did get a strong tidal swing and the current never became a problem. We filled my goodybag with sanddollars. I hit a max depth of 59' for a duration of 57 minutes.

Pics at http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album137

We had a great set of dives over the two days, looking forward to hittin Destin jetties again in the near future. Its hard not to with such great dives!

Me and Hannah had a great time. Looking forward to the next trip. Not to hijack the thread, but if the tides are showing 2 high tides for a day with no more than a .2' swing is that a good day for diving?

Natebrr:
Me and Hannah had a great time. Looking forward to the next trip. Not to hijack the thread, but if the tides are showing 2 high tides for a day with no more than a .2' swing is that a good day for diving?
A day like that is not the best for the chance of great viz. It is still diveable and the current should not be too bad. Dive at about high tide for your best viz and you'll also get out before the current changes direction. If you remember Saturday we still had water flowing in from the gulf even though we were diving an hour or so after the high tide. There will be less push in with a smaller tide so the bay water will be coming out sooner.

Its mostly gone, there is still some lingering here and there, along with some small patches of sawgrass. Mostly clear water though :)

Kudos to Bugman,

Me, Skyjunky, and Capt Larry had a couple of great shore dives with you on Saturday. Thanks for showing us around and with so many great dive sites I didn't get to, you can bet there will be more trips to the area for me.

June grass is bad at the AL point jetties. The Destin jetty dive was the better of the 2 for us this weekend, though I did bag 17 stone crab claws in AL which is closed in FL now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom