Destin Jetties 6/17/06 & 6/18/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeepbrew

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My g/f and I will be in Destin for father's day weekend. Who wants to dive the Jetties on Sat, Sun, or both? Also, anyone know what time high tide will be those days?

I just talked to my g/f and she mentioned that she would possibly want to dive Morrison on Sun the 18th on the way back home...

From what I have seen, the high tides for those days are:
June 17th - 2:49 PM
June 18th - 9:55 AM
I suppose those are Central times?
I have never dove the jetties. How close to the high tide times do we need to dive? I would love to get two dives in each time if at all possible.

Yep, those are central times.

Get in the water about an hour before high tide for your first dive, if you want to do two dives.

I'll be in TN(Bonnaroo) that weekend, otherwise, I'd join you.

Bonnaroo is always a blast... enjoy it! My parents have a beach house in Destin so I will be back many times throughout the summer. There will be a next time...

We were looking at coming down to Destin or Orange Beach that weekend. If we come, I'd be up for a Jetty dive on Saturday or Friday.

Problem is finding "non-outrageous" beach accomadations. From looking around it seems that they want about $250/night for a condo + rental tax + reservation fee + cleaning fee. (which all of it puts it up over $300/night. Destin just ain't worth that especially since it's so crowded this time of year).

any reccomendations on where to stay beachfront for a better price? (looking for beachfront so the wife can enjoy sitting on the beach while I'm off diving )

mike_s:
We were looking at coming down to Destin or Orange Beach that weekend. If we come, I'd be up for a Jetty dive on Saturday or Friday.

Problem is finding "non-outrageous" beach accomadations. From looking around it seems that they want about $250/night for a condo + rental tax + reservation fee + cleaning fee. (which all of it puts it up over $300/night. Destin just ain't worth that especially since it's so crowded this time of year).

any reccomendations on where to stay beachfront for a better price? (looking for beachfront so the wife can enjoy sitting on the beach while I'm off diving )

Not sure. I would offer you a place to stay but I am staying at my parents beach house, and other family members will be as well. Jennifer (my g/f) and I have decided that we are diving both Sat afternoon and Sun AM at the Destin jetties, and then at Morrison Springs Sun afternoon.

Well we found a place to stay that's not too terrible overpriced and on the beach in Destin. Found it Friday and was going to book it this weekend.... but...

I'm wanting to see what Tropical Storm Alberto (or whatever it's name is) is going to do first as the trip reservation is non refundable under 30 days. They have several condo's available, so I think I'm ok waiting another day or so. I'd rather risk a day or to instead of coming down during a huge storm and not being able to enjoy it.

They are saying it's going to turn towards central Florida, but I'm not that sure....
Here's the predecition image.

strm1_strike_720x486.jpg

So if it turns, how will it affect vis on the panhandle for diving? If it doesn't turn, I doubt we'll be divin' much... more like leaving.

Hello! I'm wanting to dive the destin jetty sat. afternoon too! I will be over there visiting my dad for father's day; I only need a dive buddy. Would you and your gf be willing to have a third person in your group? Please let me know........

mike_s:
Well we found a place to stay that's not too terrible overpriced and on the beach in Destin. Found it Friday and was going to book it this weekend.... but...

I'm wanting to see what Tropical Storm Alberto (or whatever it's name is) is going to do first as the trip reservation is non refundable under 30 days. They have several condo's available, so I think I'm ok waiting another day or so. I'd rather risk a day or to instead of coming down during a huge storm and not being able to enjoy it.

They are saying it's going to turn towards central Florida, but I'm not that sure....
Here's the predecition image.

strm1_strike_720x486.jpg

So if it turns, how will it affect vis on the panhandle for diving? If it doesn't turn, I doubt we'll be divin' much... more like leaving.

Probably the best thing to do is play it by ear and call Emerald Coast Scuba or one of the dive shops and get a vis report? Timing is important for you so you may have to rely on the forecast, but my experience in the past has been that it is unreliable!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom