Destin diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EmperorMing

Registered
Reaction score
Morning all...

I'm a UK based diver, and I'm lucky enough to have to visit Destin for a work conference during May of this year.

I was hoping someone could give me some guidance about the diving in the area at that time of year, I guess I'm more of a wreck than reef type of diver, but generally just happy enough to be underwater!!

Any specific ops you'd recommend? Is it worth bringing full gear, or can I get by with a set of regs and computer?

Cheers

Im sure suprbugman and seayoda will chime in as they are the resident experts on that area. Pretty much anywhere in the US you can get by with minimal gear, and rent everything. I hear Emerald Coast Scuba in that area is a good shop/charter. There also shore diving at the Jetties which is supposed to be great.

I have a little bit of info here - http://northfloridadiver.net/sites/destin.htm

Here is a link for the dive operator I used until I got my own boat: ScubaTech

The problem with the dive operators in Destin is that they don't go to the best wrecks or reefs because they need to get back to port to pick up the next load of divers. My wife and I spearfish and usually hit the wrecks that are out about 20 miles and in 120 - 140 fsw. Usually better viz and more sealife. By the way, our wrecks are really artificial reefs and are usually tugboats, barges, landing craft, and liberty ships.

As May approaches, send me an email or PM. We may be able to arrange a weekend dive. We usually plan for a 3 or 4 tank dive trip which takes all day when we head out 20 miles.

Also, the water will still be a little chilly in May (although not chilly by UK standards). Water temp starts out around 65F early and warms to 70F at the end of the month.

EmperorMing:
Morning all...

I'm a UK based diver, and I'm lucky enough to have to visit Destin for a work conference during May of this year.

I was hoping someone could give me some guidance about the diving in the area at that time of year, I guess I'm more of a wreck than reef type of diver, but generally just happy enough to be underwater!!

Any specific ops you'd recommend? Is it worth bringing full gear, or can I get by with a set of regs and computer?

Cheers

I've always used ScubaTech, but like Stone said, I've only gone to some of the closer shallower wrecks/rocks. Its a great outfit and you could probably call and arrange to go farther if you give them enough time. I haven't use Emerald Coast, but I hear they are great too.

Eventually, I'm going to take Stone up on his offer :) Just got a new speargun I need to break in - so I have even more of an excuse.

Like jviehe stated, you can dive the jeddies right of the beach(by the East Pass) and save yourself some money. It can be a fun dive, just be sure to time it on high slack tide.

There are several really nice freshwater springs north of Destin/PC that are worth checking out as well(Vortex and Morrison are the easiest to access).

I went thru Scubatech when I was in Destin. They are great. It looked like they had some decent rental equipment, so you would probably be fine not lugging all your equipment. Also, if you want a cheap dive, you can shore dive the Jetti. Its a bit of a walk and you have to time the tides, but it's decent.

Better late than never.

ScubaTech is my choice for boats - theirs is better set up for diving. They will have everything you need. Emerald Coast is also good and I would not hesitate to use them.

Jettie dives are great - be sure to go at high tide and wear gloves. You'll need to rent gear from a shop and carry it over some distance in sand. Gear up at the car and take only what you need.

Spring dives are great too. The three in the area give a diversity in settings and accomodations.

Let me know when you're coming and, if I'm free, we can schedule a dive somewhere.

I'm in the process of replacing my fuel tank. Last weekend I had to cut it in half to get it out without pulling the engine. If all goes well, I'll have a 100 gal custom tank installed by the end of Feb (the old tank was 70 gal and didn't have the reserve I wanted to go to the Oriskany).

When I'm back in the water, I'll start another "Destin Divers" thread.

I'd be interested in diving the "O". I haven't been below about 90' so I'd need some one to keep a good eye on me - not a good dive to get narced on with the whole ship just calling to me :D.

Stone,

Nice boat you got in your pics!

When you dive it, do you leave a person topside to opreate your boat in case you up down current from it or do you just "risk it" and everyone on board dives?

Just curious what most people do in situations like this...

-mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom