Desperately need an easy trip - hopefully w/out sand fleas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't been to AC but I've been to Placencia many times. No sand fleas there.

But don't go to Turneffe Island Resort. They rake the sand daily, and if the wind keeps up you'll be good. But if it dies down--yikes!

As far as your budget, you didn't say how long you want to stay. If you're talking about $1,500/day pp you'll live like a King, lol. But seriously, at least in Placencia you can spend as much or as little as you want. I suspect the same may be true for AC as well but it attracts more tourists so the floor may be a little higher.

As far as your budget, you didn't say how long you want to stay. If you're talking about $1,500/day pp you'll live like a King, lol. .

Ha! Good point. Probably 8 nights - Weekend to weekend.

Summer is the slow season in Belize, so the accommodation rates will be lower. In Placencia, you can probably score a beachfront cabana for $60 to $75 a night. I know it's good to have everything in place before you go, but the best way to drive the price down probably even lower is to show up and negotiate in person with cash in hand. But for a first-timer, that might be more trouble than its worth as you'll definitely want to have a place lined up for at least the first night. You can get one with a kitchen and save some money on eating, too.

I know that Splash can make suggestions on places to stay within your budget.

Since there are two of you, it may also be cheaper to rent a car and drive to Placencia rather than fly. I haven't checked airfare recently but it seems like it goes up every year. Again, as a first-timer you may prefer just to fly but the drive is easy with just a couple of turns (take a left out of the airport onto the Northern Highway, then a left to get onto the road to Hattieville, then another left at Belmopan, up and over the Maya Mountains on the Hummingbird Highway, then a right onto the Southern Highway and a left at the roundabout onto the peninsula and into the village, all well-marked with signs). It just takes a couple of hours and is a beautiful drive, especially the Hummingbird with its one-lane bridges. I always use Placencia Car Rental, which provides cars at both the airport and Placencia. The drive is about 2.5 hours versus 30 minutes by air. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

One other tip, the BZ Dollar is tied to the US Dollar at $2BZ to $1USD. So posted prices can seem very high. Always clarify whether the price is BZ or US for whatever you're buying. And US money is widely accepted, actually preferred, but make sure there are no torn bills as they won't take those. Change back is often in Belize bills so I take lots of $5 and $10 bills with me when I go to avoid getting stuck with too many Belize dollars at the end.

I don't mean to sound like a shill for Placencia. I love it there but it's not for everyone. AC has more of everything, i.e., hotels, dive shops, restaurants, bars, etc, but with that also comes more crowds. Placencia up until relatively recently was just a sleepy fishing village and it still retains a lot of that character. It has the added advantage of quick and easy trips on the mainland but the disadvantage of longer trips to the reef. I love running around in the jungle as well as riding around in a boat so I don't mind that at all but it's a deal breaker for some.

Wherever you go, you'll have a great time.

But for a first-timer, that might be more trouble than its worth as you'll definitely want to have a place lined up for at least the first night.

Well, it's not exactly my first time. I took a hot crowded school bus down what was then a dirt road to Placencia in 2001. That's where I finished my open water certification. Seems like it's about time I go back!

Well then, you already know the way and don't need directions from me, lol.

Expect big changes. The highway from the roundabout to the village is no longer dirt. In fact, it's one of the best roads in Belize. Much of the village has been remodeled to reflect its transitioning from fishing village to tourist destination.

Well then, you already know the way and don't need directions from me, lol.

Expect big changes. The highway from the roundabout to the village is no longer dirt. In fact, it's one of the best roads in Belize. Much of the village has been remodeled to reflect its transitioning from fishing village to tourist destination.
I'm sure a LOT has changed in 20 years....including my tolerance for hot dusty bus rides and showing up without reservations. :) Thanks for the info!

What about Saba?

My trip to Bonaire canceled. I'm looking for somewhere to go in June. Mexico is out. Belize looks easy-ish now that they are accepting vaccine proof for entry.

I'm looking for good diving, beachfront, easy to find food and no sand fleas. Is that Ambergris? I really really hate sand fleas and have sworn off Roatan because of it so I need an honest answer on this.

Will take recommendations on where to stay, etc. Looking to spend <$1500pp for accommodations/diving/breakfast.

Thanks in advance!

My trip to Bonaire canceled. I'm looking for somewhere to go in June. Mexico is out. Belize looks easy-ish now that they are accepting vaccine proof for entry.

I'm looking for good diving, beachfront, easy to find food and no sand fleas. Is that Ambergris? I really really hate sand fleas and have sworn off Roatan because of it so I need an honest answer on this.
Will take recommendations on where to stay, etc. Looking to spend <$1500pp for accommodations/diving/breakfast.
…………..
Be careful if you are thinking about diving here in San Pedro. We are here now. Diving is hit or miss with high winds keeping the boats from going out.
Worse, the San Pedro police are targeting tourists, harassing them if you don’t wear a mask outside, arrest you and take you to the sweaty old police station for 2 hours. Then forced to pay $250 each to be able to leave the country.
This is killing their economy recovery efforts. We are stuck at our hotel for fear of being targeted and harassed again by police. Others are posting similar experiences on Trip Advisor. Good news…no sand fleas so far.

Thanks in advance!

I guess Mexico shouldn't have been ruled out...

Back
Top Bottom