Desperately need an easy trip - hopefully w/out sand fleas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tendi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My trip to Bonaire canceled. I'm looking for somewhere to go in June. Mexico is out. Belize looks easy-ish now that they are accepting vaccine proof for entry.

I'm looking for good diving, beachfront, easy to find food and no sand fleas. Is that Ambergris? I really really hate sand fleas and have sworn off Roatan because of it so I need an honest answer on this.

Will take recommendations on where to stay, etc. Looking to spend <$1500pp for accommodations/diving/breakfast.

Thanks in advance!

Why is Mexico out?

I've been to Caye Caulker, an island near Ambergris, and didn't notice sand fleas. We were there about 5 years ago and I have a detailed trip report in the Belize forum. Diving with Black Durgon Dives and lodging with Da Real Macaw. I know the dive op is still active but haven't looked up the lodging lately. It was owned by a friendly woman who was from Florida. I shop hard for best value and those were my choices then.

Mexico is out because we've been there so many times. I'll check out your trip report and Caye Caulker.

I was on Ambergris Caye in September 2016, one month after Hurricane Earl. It was a group trip and there was no cancelling it, so we had to go. Even though it was a category 1 hurricane, in a third-world country, it might as well have been a cat 3 or higher. It was a mess, lots of broken piers and debris in the water, and the reef was literally broken. Lots of broken coral. Almost five years later, it might have had a chance to recover and regrow, but I haven't been there since 2016. I hate sand fleas, too, and I didn't experience any in September.

We just got back from Curaçao and stayed at Sucscape resort. Best vacation ever and my goto has always been Cozumel. Not sure about pricing, but I would bet they would make you a deal if it is close. We went with a group of 16 friends and it was right at 1500 each plus airfare. In over 20 years of tropical vacations, this is the only one I was not ready to come home!

Trip Report - Sunscape Curacao, Ocean Encounters Diving A++++++

On edit- I just ran a trip for 2 on Hotels.com out of OKC and it was 2800 for all inclusive and air for 2. That was through Miami with reasonable flights. American will add $30 per bag each way so another $120 or us.

Safe travels,
Jay

Might check out Placencia ... we enjoyed our time there when the whale sharks came around. Try Splash Dive Shop, we stayed at Trade Winds which was a nice little cabana on the water - no fleas.

Back
Top Bottom