Desperately need an easy trip - hopefully w/out sand fleas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be careful if you are thinking about diving here in San Pedro. We are here now. Diving is hit or miss with high winds keeping the boats from going out.
Worse, the San Pedro police are targeting tourists, harassing them if you don’t wear a mask outside, arrest you and take you to the sweaty old police station for 2 hours. Then forced to pay $250 each to be able to leave the country.
This is killing their economy recovery efforts. We are stuck at our hotel for fear of being targeted and harassed again by police. Others are posting similar experiences on Trip Advisor. Good news…no sand fleas so far.

Be careful if you are thinking about diving here in San Pedro. We are here now. Diving is hit or miss with high winds keeping the boats from going out.
Worse, the San Pedro police are targeting tourists, harassing them if you don’t wear a mask outside, arrest you and take you to the sweaty old police station for 2 hours. Then forced to pay $250 each to be able to leave the country.
This is killing their economy recovery efforts. We are stuck at our hotel for fear of being targeted and harassed again by police. Others are posting similar experiences on Trip Advisor. Good news…no sand fleas so far.
You were right on about the high winds. Diving was canceled a couple days (unless we wanted to go to the Blue Hole). I can't speak to the police targeting tourists. We just followed the rules and wore masks off resort. Their country, their rules.

We're back. Some thoughts...
1. Loved Ramon's - great food, great service, cute rooms.
2. Dive operation could use some improvements which surprised me since they market themselves as a dive resort. Schedule on board was never updated when dives were canceled. No nitrox log. Dives were short (50 min) regardless of air/bottom time. There were some def pros - Boats were great, DMs were very personable, safety was a primary concern, we were treated right when sorting out prepaid dives and the fact that a couple days were canceled due to conditions.
4. Diving itself...sites near Ramon's...topography is canyons which is really pretty. I've never seen such friendly nurse sharks. They're almost annoying. I was disappointed in the lack of small fish. Because of the conditions and the method used to get on and off boats, you do need to be able to climb out with full gear on. That could be a limitation for some. I know I prefer to take my gear off in the water but I am able to climb out with it if needed.
5. Snorkeling - We did the manatee snorkel trip which was great. We also did shark/ray alley which was fun although I'm not a huge fan of chumming.
6. No sand fleas/mosquitos when there was a breeze. One day there was no breeze and we def needed bug spray.
7. Food around town - I was very very pleased with all of our meals. I can't remember the name of all the restaurants but they were all good. Elvi's was my fav. Great Mayan fish (as recommended by someone here) and the frozen key lime pie was delicious.
8. Covid stuff - resort made it super easy with on site testing. No issues when walking around town...just follow the rules. One day I forgot a mask which I realized after taking 1 step off the property. Before I could turn around and go back, a man pulled over on a golf cart and handed me a mask. Nice to see everyone on the same page trying to be part of the solution instead of throwing a tantrum like a toddler.

Overall, it was a great trip and it was amazing to dive again after a long break! Next time I might try to stay on Turneffe...although I think it's a lot more $ and I'd question if they food would be as good. I know there wouldn't be the variety available.

I might try to stay on Turneffe...although I think it's a lot more $ and I'd question if they food would be as good. I know there wouldn't be the variety available.

My wife and I stayed at TIR twice for a total of three weeks. There was only one meal that we thought was mediocre. The rest were outstanding. This was 10+ years ago and things may have changed since then. Beverly was the head cook and with that one exception everything that came out of her kitchen was delicious.

Here are some photos of her cooking on the grill for the Friday night party.
IMG_1027.jpeg
IMG_1028.jpeg
IMG_1031.jpeg
on the grill for the Friday night .

I feel like you're making this an easy decision... it looks like the condos next door are nice too but maybe not as convenient.

I'd take the condo. You won't notice any significant difference in convenience. And Ramon's is definitely not the only dive op around. Everyone of them will pick you up and drop you off at a pier near you, wherever it is that you choose to stay.

I feel like you're making this an easy decision... it looks like the condos next door are nice too but maybe not as convenient.

We stay at the condos next to Ramone's, The Palms - The Belize Palms - Suites & Hotel - San Pedro, Belize. For the price of 2 rooms or less, you get a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo, all on the beach except for the Casita by the pool. We stayed at Ramone's the 1st time we went to Ambergris Caye, saw The Palms, and moved. No brainer. Still dive with Ramone's and occasionally eat there.

We stay at the condos next to Ramone's, The Palms - The Belize Palms - Suites & Hotel - San Pedro, Belize. For the price of 2 rooms or less, you get a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo, all on the beach except for the Casita by the pool. We stayed at Ramone's the 1st time we went to Ambergris Caye, saw The Palms, and moved. No brainer. Still dive with Ramone's and occasionally eat there.

Exactly! The Palms is a great place to stay!

And yes Ramone's is handy but you can get a more personal touch with some smaller operators. Chuck and Robbie's or Rudy, with Island Divers. There's more but these guys are great. And they'll pick you up at the dock closest to zthe Palms and drop you there again when diving is over.

Back
Top Bottom