Desiccant packs in Ikelite housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted to report that I just got back from a week long diving trip where I took pictures with my underwater camera for five days. I used one (1) moisture munchers inside the camera housing and it worked great!! The moisture muncher starts as the color blue and will turn pink when it has been used up. After five days, the moisture muncher was still not pink. The one thing I like about them is they are a round cylinder shape, so I made a holder for it inside my housing. It never moved. I would recommend them if you are looking for something to keep moisture out.

Inertia

I used dissicant packs on another housing. But I pretty much gave them up as a bad deal. I dive pretty much in warm water. If you are in an air conditioned room, you can close up your housing in the room. The air in the housing will be drier and colder than the water. So you will not get any fogging on the inside of the housing. Of course, you will get immediate fogging of the housing the moment you leave the room and your cool housing hits the warm, moist tropical air. But once the housing warms up, that goes away.

I have used the sealife desiccant packets and have been very happy with them. I just received some moisture munchers. I'll give them a try this weekend. I have heard that you can place the moisture munchers on a pan in the oven and dry them out. Afterwards they should be good for another use. I personally have not tried this, and they're not all that expensive. But I guesst this could work....

Back when I worried about leaks, I used Maxi Pads from any supermarket. Seriously. They will absorb a lot of water, are sold worldwide and the price is right.

And oh by the way, be very careful not to close the case on whatever moisture absorbent pack you put in a case. I have heard of people having a corner of the silica gel pack under an O-ring with tragic results. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. Seriously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom