Desiccant pack recharging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

walterberry

Reaction score
My googling of desiccant recharging has come up with the method of sticking them in the oven at 200 F. I am wondering if they can be recharged by putting them in a bag with rice-it keeps salt dry in the tropics and is used by cooks to keep other powders dry. Anybody use this method?

I worked in a chemistry lab for about 20 years and we just put it in the oven like what you have read about. I don't think putting them in a bag with rice is going to do it. There is nothing about the rice that is going to drive the moisture out of the desiccant. I guess if rice were to be in a bag with desiccant to start with it may slow the rate at which the desiccant would initially absorb moisture but I'm not even sure that would be true.

Thanks. I read about some melting and other mistakes, so I was wondering about a low tech solution. How many recharges/heatings can I get per bag?

Put them into a container of Damp Rid. N

Or you could ask your local pharmacist to save some - I know I throw away probably close to 100 a day.

Corn starch is usually a good moisture absorber. But I like the damp-rid idea too if you don't care to stick them in the oven.

Ken

Thanks. I read about some melting and other mistakes, so I was wondering about a low tech solution. How many recharges/heatings can I get per bag?

I'm not really sure but I would guess quite a few. We used so much that we bought it by the jar full instead of bags/pouches. As long as it would turn back to the deep blue from the pinkish color we would keep using it and it's been awhile but I think we would use it for about a year and then just start with fresh stuff. But even after a year it was still turning back to the dark blue.

About 6 months ago I purchased about 150 silica packets from eBay. They were literally desiccant packets used in shoe boxes. I've been using the 200¼² F method most of the times.

Simply place them on a conventional oven for 2 - 3 hours at 200Ž° F. I've found out that this is the method that makes the packets last longer ( 1-2 days ) inside a small sandwich size ziplock bag. I've also used the microwave oven for a couple of emergencies.

In case of the microwave, it all depends on the power output of it, but generally 2-3 mins. at 10-25% power would do the trick (when you see them turn blue). However you have to put them inside the housing or a tight seal case/bag immediately. The ziplock bag wont work as they will rapidly dry the air inside the bag and turn white again.

This is so because in order for the silica desiccant packets to perform their best, they need to be as dry as possible, that's why you need 2-3 hours worth of low heat in an oven to dry them completely. The microwave only subtract a small amount of moisture which is rapidly consumed again. This is why I think the rice-it method wont work too good since the best way is to apply heat.

Be careful with the microwave however, if the power is too high or you leave them for too long they will burn... FAST! Also be sure you have the right kind of desiccant, some of them cannot be recharged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom