DESECHEO ISLAND Mano island ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chauncy19

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Someday I want to dive these islands or atleast DESECHEO. Went to Puerto Rico and dove La Paguera many years ago (1987). anyway wondering who I'd dive with, where to stay and when to go? appreciate any and all info. Don't require 5 star accommodations. Basic is fine.just dreaming at the moment ...
also wondering if I need AOW to do this. Have been diving for many years but only have OW certification. Never been an issue before but thought I'd ask.
thanks

Several years ago, we dove Desecheo Island with Taino Divers out of Rincon. While I am DM and my wife is AOW, I do not recall any requirements beyond a valid C-Card. You might contact the dive shop and check.

Desecheo is a marine reserve therefore you cannot visit the island, however you can dive in their surroundings. I have asked several dive shops that I know used to dive there and they don’t do anymore. So far I have only one I know does is Taino Divers out Rincon, WELCOME, , I will make some phone calls and post the information here. As far as Mona Island that is more complicated trip. Mona is a natural reserve, there are no permanent residents living except Ranger form the PR Department of natural Resources. First you need a permit from PR Department of natural Resources.(http://www.drna.gobierno.pr/oficinas/saux/sap/frm/utpf/CAMPING IN MONA ISLAND.pdf) Second you will have to be willing to camp there, bring all your camping equipment and find someone that can take you there. Not an easy Endeavour if you don’t plan accordingly. The M/V Spree liveboard, who went there Apr 15-19 '12 (see their report here Trip Reports) is not going this year...I am heading home next month and I will try to gather more info and I will posted here.

Thanks

Gino

chauncy,
we dove desecheo and mona island for a week aboard s/v juliet.
i wrote a tr on her 9/28/09.
good diving, nice reef.
would love to go back.

thanks Geno!
any idea where to stay in Rincon area? Not going soon this is more a future planning or idea.
but anyway thanks for your input!
Smokey does s/v juliet go there at all now? do i just let them know of my interest?
thanks

thanks Geno!
any idea where to stay in Rincon area? Not going soon this is more a future planning or idea.
but anyway thanks for your input!
Smokey does s/v juliet go there at all now? do i just let them know of my interest?
thanks

Chauncey:

I will check out tripdavisor, here is a link for hotels in Rincon PR and the near area:

Rincon Hotels: Compare 45 Hotels in Rincon, with 3,277 Reviews | TripAdvisor

If you plan to stay in Rincon area only you don't need to fly into to San Juan, check out the Aguadilla Airport. (BQN) It has several flights from US Mainland. Spirit, Jet Blue, United and AIRCanada fly there and is about 25 miles form Rincon (38 minutes drive) Check my other post and you will find more detail info on this.

Good Luck

chauncy,
the s/v juliet goes to many areas.
you will need to contact her and find out where she is.
if you look up her web site you will see where she is going this season.
let me know if she is going to the cay sals and i will join you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom