Descent Tecniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
Shouldn't be a problem since you are descending and would have dumped most of the air out of your suit on the surface.

Most of the air - yup- but the deeper ye go the more of a squeeze ye get...the more equalizing ye gotta do...
From teaching drysuit specialties and seeing a few inversions in my time- better safe than sorry! :shades:

When I did my "resort" dives, the instructor went horizontal as soon as we broke the surface, I was expecting feet first, but I just followed him...What is the requirement for OW cert dives? I have mine coming soon (at BSC).

Also Baltimoron, did you use an exposure suit? If so what thickness? I have heard that it's a bit cold down there!

well i used a 7mm farmer john, a 5 (maybe) shorty, and a hood to stop the fish from nipping my ears (its cool for the first five minutes, but then they get annoying when you are trying to clear your mask!!) it wasnt bad- sometimes i was going down to 25 just to cool off a bit, but with this cold weather, i think you will be fine with all the stuff i had on. i am sure you would be sweating in a drysuit.

I've heard about the quarry "pirhannas" hahaha!

We're practicing with suits thursday night (lightning permitting) My counterparts in the class are doing their OW's on Saturday and Sunday, (lightning permitting I guess) I'm stuck NOT being able to go due to prior commitments (thanks to the wife) and not sure when I'll be going...looking forwrd to diving in something OTHER than a pool again! (but would rather it be in the 86 degree water of the Keys)

I did my AOW check out dives in Bainbridge Quarry in April.........right after the ice thawed from the surface.....brrrrrrrrrrr Friggin miserable.

As far as descent techniques......the most comfortable for me is the "Skydiver". You fly down on your belly, fins out to steer, and arms are free. One hand to equalize, and one hand to ok the anchorline, or platform line.

Hey, did you get radiation burns from that quarry? Awfully close to Three Mile Island......I have dove in the Susquehanna out there in front of Three Mile Island at some party island out there that everyone has trailers at....Newberrytown, PA is near.

Get out of the cold weather and come diving down here in Wilmington,NC.

Happy Trails.

Tom

Buoyant1:
When I did my "resort" dives, the instructor went horizontal as soon as we broke the surface, I was expecting feet first, but I just followed him...What is the requirement for OW cert dives? I have mine coming soon (at BSC).

Also Baltimoron, did you use an exposure suit? If so what thickness? I have heard that it's a bit cold down there!

Bingo! We have a winner here. Exactly...you go feet first really only for the first couple of feet. As soon as you feel yourself descending, you go horizontal, all the while controlling your descent.

Hah..got in on this thinking it was a new thread..then saw it was around this time last year prior to my check out dives! (funny reading my posts from last year!)

In retrospect, during my BSC dives, we did go feet first to the platform, I had on a 3mm (it was late Sept.) and 26 lbs. By the time we got to the last dive on day two we figured that I was already ready to shed some weight for fresh water since I dropped like a shot! (but now that I have the 7mm, the hood and the gloves, I'll be putting it back and then some)

This summer didn't work out (well yet) for getting back to the quarry, My weekends just didn't allow it! I'm just DYING to get back in since I haven't been wet since the week after Easter!

scubagirl15:
Bingo! We have a winner here. Exactly...you go feet first really only for the first couple of feet. As soon as you feel yourself descending, you go horizontal, all the while controlling your descent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom