• Head first

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Depends on mood/situation

Votes: 58 34.5%
  • Other (sideways?)

Votes: 43 25.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRider once bubbled...
Feet first until I get equalized Then horizontal:mean:

Is there a depth that you are totally equalized on a descent? It is a trick question because the answer is when you get to the bottom (or your max depth for the dive).

I am making this point not to make poke fun but to make sure the people new to diving understand the as long as you are descending you need to think about equalizing....

Pete

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
Feet first for the first 6 feet then head more or les down so I can see where I am going. If you can clear well, I would not bother with a feet first descent.

On most dives I'll just stay negative and sort of free fall to the bottom in what amounts to a sky diving type arched position. You are level but face down. This allows you to see the bottom coming up and adjust bouyancy accordingly so that you come to a gentle halt 1-3 feet off the bottom rather than crashing into the bottom as people tend to do feet first.

Pretty much what he said, except that I'll follow the line down head first in a current.

Se7en once bubbled...

Cause you like being comfortable on the boat and don't vent your drysuit before you get in the water... Just jump in and let hydrostatic pressure do it for you.

I pretty much have to do the first few feet vertical to get the air out of my drysuit so I can go horizontal or head down without ballooning my feet.

Ditto.

13.5 feet then I assume the Simco-Panizzi position
for the next 8 feet. Then with my partner we switch
to a plano-convex (nearly a convexo-concave!) decent
formation until reaching the Tlingit Layer. We then break
apart and do a free floating Flaxman Sink until a flare
4 feet above the bottom.

Lawman once bubbled...
13.5 feet then I assume the Simco-Panizzi position
for the next 8 feet. Then with my partner we switch
to a plano-convex (nearly a convexo-concave!) decent
formation until reaching the Tlingit Layer. We then break
apart and do a free floating Flaxman Sink until a flare
4 feet above the bottom.
Any experienced diver would know that you should start the Flaxman Sink 6 feet above the Tlingit Layer!

Air out at surface (sufficently deflate the BC), then immediately into horizontal position all the way down (have added the horizontal assent as well)

a bad case of Panax Trifolium! Or even worse
a total Adenosine Triphosphate Upset!

Think twice PADI Boy.The Tinglet Layer is nothing to
fool with!!

It depends on if its a shore dive or a boat. Boat dives would be feet 1st. Shore dives would be a toss up between Horiz. or feet 1st. I had a decent distance to go and expected it to be a deep dive, I would swim out feet first. If the shore dive was at a new location and I had no specific destination or depth, I would go Horz. surveying as I went out.

Sometimes it would seem as if there were a new dialect in the world of scuba.
Bill

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
On most dives I'll just stay negative and sort of free fall to the bottom in what amounts to a sky diving type arched position. You are level but face down. This allows you to see the bottom coming up and adjust bouyancy accordingly so that you come to a gentle halt 1-3 feet off the bottom rather than crashing into the bottom as people tend to do feet first.

Having done mostly shore dives I usually just sink to the bottom (2 meters), get neutral bouyancy, then follow the bottom to the desired depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom