derin/nylon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

narked at 90

Registered
Reaction score
now this is a strange one to be asking......so here i go....
I'm in the middle of building a new breather which is going great until now,
I'm now building a new cell holder to take 3 cells,the question is and it may be a stupid questen to you lot but...
i can't get hold of a delrin rod which is what i would normally use but instead have got a rod of nylon..is there any issues with O2 and nylon or pressure problems???
???
hoping i might get an answer before i commit
best regards john routley(narked at 90)

Not aware of any O2 problems, but nylon is hygroscopic (absorbs water & changes form). Delrin is a better choice for parts exposed to water. OSHA, the Navy and other government agencies do not allow acetal (Delrin is a brand name) in breathing loops due to potential off gassing...but it is used frequently by several manufacturers. That being said, I believe that the exposure is so small (expecially at the temperatures we are concerned with) that it is a non-issue. Acetal is very nice to work with from a machine perspective. It's also pretty dimensionally stable with fluctuations in temperature.
Later,
Ryan

Back
Top Bottom