Depth watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes..... 20'-30' is all the water you need to learn the skills..... If divers were no so depth "crazy" they would be better off.... The first thing divers ask is how deep did you go.... By staying shallow you are playing with a much bigger safety margin... Can you tell me what you see at 50' on a reef that you are not going to see on a reef in 30' ???? I don't think it's a great idea for some one with VERY LITTLE diving knowledge an experience to go as deep as he can,
just to go deep because it's COOL...

Read the accident reports.... Low time divers in over their head, Doing something they shouldn't be doing....

40 years in the sport and still have a blast in 10'-20' of water.... :wink:

Jim....

I hit 110-ft on my 5th dive, first dive out of OW class. I bragged about it quite a bit too back then. Nowadays, I thought that it was quite stupid of myself.

Also, for the longest I avoided staying at 20-30ft and justified that it was for wussy. The fact was that my buoyancy skills weren't good enough to remain submerged and establish buoyancy at such shallow depths.

Fair enough guys. I see your point but I did not say, "go as deep as you can because it is cool". At the same time I don't see an issue with diving down to 60' or shallower if a diver prefers. I feel comfortable diving to 60' and staying within my training at this point. I will be taking AOW next month to continue my dive training and gain more experience. Does this mean I am interested deep diving? Not necessarily but I don't think I should limit myself to less than my training either. I am not advocating pushing the limits of ones training but when you, oldschoolto, posted about staying at 20' - 30' it just seemed weird to me is all. And besides you did say something to the effect of flame away...:)

Fair enough guys. I see your point but I did not say, "go as deep as you can because it is cool". At the same time I don't see an issue with diving down to 60' or shallower if a diver prefers. I feel comfortable diving to 60' and staying within my training at this point. I will be taking AOW next month to continue my dive training and gain more experience. Does this mean I am interested deep diving? Not necessarily but I don't think I should limit myself to less than my training either. I am not advocating pushing the limits of ones training but when you, oldschoolto, posted about staying at 20' - 30' it just seemed weird to me is all. And besides you did say something to the effect of flame away...:)

You know that you have good buoyancy skills when you do an ocean dive/open water dive with less than 10-ft depth but you don't touch the bottom, nor do you pop to the surface because of surges and currents.

Yes.... I did put the flame away at the end of my post... As a OW diver your limit is 60'.... AOW is 130'.... We have a thread going about diving in key largo, FL at pennkamp's cannon beach.... It's 10' to maybe 20' if your lucky... And it's a really fun place to dive.... It's all about the dive... Not the depth..

http://2sb.us/454159

Jim...

You know that you have good buoyancy skills when you do an ocean dive/open water dive with less than 10-ft depth but you don't touch the bottom, nor do you pop to the surface because of surges and currents.

You are so right. I have done a number of shore dives in places like Cape Ann, MA. On many dives, if you hit 30 feet, it is getting deep, often 20 feet is the max. Certainly hones your buoyancy skills! Of course (if you have a drysuit), you get to have 90-100 minute dives with smaller tanks.

Terry

Like I said...My point was not about going deeper than 60' but that I was surprised that you would post limits of no more 20' - 30' is all. I just don't think that limiting oneself and not diving within your training is not utilizing skills learned. :no:

I can definitely see your point on this as well. That sounds like it would good buoyancy training but as much as I want to improve my buoyancy I would also like to throw some fun into the mix as well.

SELF RELIANCE.... SELF RELIANCE.... Self Reliance... Believe it... Live it.... Do it... And your chances of living are much better....:wink:

Jim....

I agree, that is why the op needs to have a reliable timer, depth gauge and pressure gauge. Without this minimum gear you can't use the tables and you can't make multiple dives. Staying with air and a single 80 will keep you out of trouble, no matter how deep, but none of it matters if you can't know how deep and for how long or how much air you have.

My diving is primarily solo, but I have all these in addition to my Sol. It takes a lot of time and costs a lot of money to get on site and start aborting dives because something failed.

I can definitely see your point on this as well. That sounds like it would good buoyancy training but as much as I want to improve my buoyancy I would also like to throw some fun into the mix as well.

I suppose it's all depending on the dive sites. In SoCal water, if you want to hunt for seahorses, they aren't going to be at 60-ft. Or some funky tropical fish that migrated up north. They're all in the less-than-20-ft range.

My point is that it's a lot tougher to dive in shallow water than deep water because of the finely honed skills required to establish and maintain neutral buoyancy at such low depths.

Hmm I know from spearfishing you can get some watches for around 100-200€ which will tell you Temp, Depth and Time of course... But yea I dont think any cheaper is available or reliable ..
Good luck :)

Hmm I know from spearfishing you can get some watches for around 100-200€ which will tell you Temp, Depth and Time of course... But yea I dont think any cheaper is available or reliable ..
Good luck :)

Pretty sure you can get a Casio G Shock that will do that for <$50

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom