Depth Gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huange

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I'm debating in my mind over whether to get a dive computer or not. Are there any depth gauges that tell you your depth wherever you are, even if you rise from your maximum depth? For example, your max depth is 80ft, which it tells you, and you go up to 40ft, it will change to 40ft.

I only ask because the depth gauges that I've been renting only tell you the max depth that you've gone that dive, and you reset it to zero each dive. I'd like a gauge that tells me the depth I'm currently at whenever. Can I find that, or do I have to get a dive computer to get that?

Eric

Yes you most definately can get such a gauge, pretty standard gear. They tend to have 2 needles, one shows where you are currently at, the other is pushed up by the first so it shows max depth. If you are not getting a computer, remember that you need some form of bottom timer as well to stay within NDL.

Personally I would get a computer, but that is just my preference

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try to get one of those gauges.

While ideally I would love a computer, a decent depth and pressure gauge fits my needs as a newbie (and saves me some money). Plus, it's not really a hassle doing all the calculations in dive planning.

If you do one or two dive once in a while, a dive planner is OK, but if you do multiple dives over multiple days, a computer is much more than a luxury. A computer is not just a simple dive planning calculator. It measures in real time how much time you have until no decompression limit, taking into account your actual depth throughout the whole dive, so you usually get more bottom time. It also shows your ascend rate and warns you if you have exceeded the max recommended rate, which varies depending on depth. Going up too fast is probably the biggest mistake beginners make without knowing it.

If you don't want a computer, a digital bottom timer could be an alternative. it gives bottom time, max depth, current depth and an ascend rate indicator.

…I only ask because the depth gauges that I've been renting only tell you the max depth that you've gone that dive, and you reset it to zero each dive. I'd like a gauge that tells me the depth I'm currently at whenever…

I have never seen a depth gauge that only indicated the max depth and not the current depth. There are some that only indicate current depth. What brand/model have you been renting?

Here is one example of many that do both:

p_gauges_maxdepth_oceanglo1.jpg

The thin wire is max depth, if you remember to reset it. As far as the depth gauge versus computer decision, it is really depth gauge, time piece, and decompression tables versus computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom