Denisegg's incident and near miss at Jackson Blue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pulmonary edema can happen unbelievably fast. I take care of a patient on occasion who goes from a comfortable lady to pink froth out her mouth in less than ten minutes. It's really frightening, for her and for me!

I'd have to go do another search, but the last time I looked at this, there were really no good data to say whether an IPE victim should dive again or not. The lady who had it here is back to diving, but she's taking her hypertensive meds now :)

Is it possible for the fluids to drain and a diver to simply write it off as "nothing serious"? This of course assumes they get out before the "red froth" stage.

Pulmonary edema can happen unbelievably fast. I take care of a patient on occasion who goes from a comfortable lady to pink froth out her mouth in less than ten minutes. It's really frightening, for her and for me!

Wow. That's freakin scary!

Yes. If you were climbing the three flights of stairs out of Grand Cenote, and got to the top really winded more than usual, would you go to the doctor or just think it might have been the third margarita the night before? A mild case of IPE might well go undiagnosed in this way.

We were told IPE happens within a few minutes being in the water and as we know in this case gets serious fast. However we were also told in the next sentence that DAN also said that's its so rare they have very little solid information.

Wow. That's freakin scary!
Precisely... and in a cave it's even scarier.
You can bet your bippy this cave diver's going to be doing a "special lung assessment" for the first 15 minutes or so from now on.
Rick

I have to agree with the above discussion. We were about 15 minutes into the dive when the symptoms began and according to my dive computer I was out of the water with a total bottom time of 23 minutes with a full blown episode.

Denise, I am very glad you are alright. Thank you for sharing your story and I'm sending you positive thoughts on a speedy recovery.

Big :hugs: my friend.

VERY interesting thread. Would I be correct in thinking if I feel good 15/20 minutes into a dive then I can pretty much forget about IPE ?

I have to agree with the above discussion. We were about 15 minutes into the dive when the symptoms began and according to my dive computer I was out of the water with a total bottom time of 23 minutes with a full blown episode.

Now THAT's freaking scary!

VERY interesting thread. Would I be correct in thinking if I feel good 15 minutes into a dive then I can pretty much forget about IPE ?

How would we ever know?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom