Denied to dive for 48 hours

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Computers used as rentals generally have a way to clear them. It would be a lockout on the OPs computer that would be relevant. Nothing fundamentally wrong with using a rental computer if you need to, but I agree if you're not of the mindset that can just pick up any computer and understand it, definitely ought to have your own. (Also best to have a handle on the difference between optional safety stops and required deco stops, the capability not to get into a deco situation when you don't mean to, and generally the knowledge and confidence to do what's right for yourself, before doing more challenging dives.)

Might it not be a good idea for any diver to own his OWN computer? I can imagine that a rental one is still calculating previous dives made with it? So that could affect your "new" and fresh diveplan and make you stop for 48 hours...?

Many computers (all?) have a 'secret code' which can be used to reset them, exactly for the situation where they're being rented out and need to be turned around between customers. Normally the manufacturers don't tell this code to just anyone and try to only give it out to certified techs or shops, since there are obvious safety issues if people unknowingly or knowingly misuse it.

If you're renting a computer, checking that there is no nitrogen loading remaining is probably a good idea. This would probably also tell you whether you (and the shop) understand the computer well enough to be diving with it.

---

D'oh. Damselfish beat me to it while I was interrupted in mid-post. Oh well.

Last edited:
I can't emphasize enough, being able to shoot an SMB from your SS depth, especially during a drift dive where there might be heavy boat traffic. During drift dives, you have all levels of experienced divers with all different ranges of SAC. Even with the best of intentions, one can become separated from the group or one's buddy. When doing a solo ascent, it is a good idea to let other boats know there is a diver below, and to give your boat crew a visual so they can pick you up.

Is there a computer that would lock you out for a missed safety stop or too-aggressive an ascent? Safety stop is by definition not [mandatory] so I would doubt it.*
Actually, I have seen this, in 2008. A diver on a wall dive made a too-fast ascent from about 90 feet to 60 feet to see something, dropped down the wall again and repeated the quick ascent to 60 or 50 feet.

His Suunto Cobra (the original version) was very upset when he didn't hold a safety stop but instead surfaced (nice and slow this time). The RGBM side of its algorithm had decided the safety stop was now mandatory* because of the micro bubbling he had probably encouraged. At least that was my take after some research.

When he didn't pay attention to the constant beeping after boarding, the Cobra shut down for 48 hours. If he had gone back in the water within five minutes and held the stop, the Cobra would have been happy. But that's not usually something a charter operator will allow you to do. They did, however, remove and replace the battery to reset the computer, but only after a full 24 hours. Good? Bad?

-Bryan

* Please remember that we've beaten the "mandatory" versus "safety" stop terminology to death in other threads.

Gray and square --- sounds like an old UUwatec. They used to lock out for various violations. And i believe 48 hours was the standard lock out. Another lesson to be learned here:

If you find yourself in this situation -- get the details of what went wrong. Everyone seems to be guessing here.

I chuck it up as a learning experience, be that it was the hard way which I would like to avoid as much as possible.
Well, there's your problem. Next time chalk it up instead. :D

Just kidding. Good thread, Chiara.

-Bryan

_
. . . given the widespread nincompoopery, incomplete thoughts/sentences, and primal-scream-level approach to communication seen recently, it is unclear to me how bizarre characters make SB threads any more difficult to understand than the users are . . .
-- Doc Intrepid__

Gray and square --- sounds like an old UUwatec. They used to lock out for various violations. And i believe 48 hours was the standard lock out. Another lesson to be learned here:

If you find yourself in this situation -- get the details of what went wrong. Everyone seems to be guessing here.

That's it! The rental computer was Uwatec.

She's a vacation diver with less than 50 dives??? Probably doesn't even know what the computer was saying :) This dive was outside your comfort skill level and you should not have done it. Dive more often and get more training! This sport can kill you!

PS. And you guys want her to shoot a SMB, got to love it!

That's it! The rental computer was Uwatec.

FWIW, locking you out after doing something it thinks is unsafe isn't a defect, it's doing it's best to keep you alive and out of the hospital.

If you watch it during the dive it will give you plenty of warnings that things are starting to go downhill, including complaining about your ascent rate, nitrogen loading and remaining gas and bottom time (if air-integrated).

Terry

The point here is, you need to be following your training. This comes before following your buddy on a rapid ascent to the surface. It may be a buddy, a DM or an Instructor who wants to go straight to the surface. In any case, communication is KEY. If you computer is telling you to stop, let your buddy know you need to stop. If your buddy won't stop, too bad, you are making your stop on your own. If you KNOW that you need to be do a stop, you need to do a stop. Im glad that you came out of this okay, but as divers we must rely on ourselves before we rely on anyone else. Rapid ascents MUST be avoided.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom