Dengue in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfpikeil

Registered
Reaction score
Seguin, Texas - Paradise on the Guadalupe
# of dives
100 - 199
I just read an article in my local paper saying that Dengue Fever is spreading rapidly through the Caribbean, including the Yucatan and Cozumel. I'm in no panic mode or anything, but can any of you folks who live in Coz let me know just what the level of threat is? Is this news at all in Cozumel... or just media hyperpole?:confused:

Thanks,
Don

Dear Mike,

I along with my 7 year old twins live here in Cozumel about half the time (the other half at the headwaters of your river near Kerrville). There have been periodic cases here since 1992 that I know of, but I have not heard of anything more than a flu like symptoms when it has ocurred. So it is not a "new" epidemic.

There is little note of Dengue here and I suppose that just like the hurricane hype, may be overblown by whatever media outlet you have seen. I can tell you that I don't stay up nights worrying about my kids.

On the other hand I have heard that there may be an antibiotic resistant strain emerging but that seems to be the case for about all bugs.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

This is approaching epidemic proportions in S. America and other locales. Cozumel is not as known for mosquitos as other Mexican, Carribean and S. American locales, EXCEPT in the streeets where you find standing water, or tires discarded or some garbage. Take DEET and lots of it...not the "skintastic" variety (7%) but the deep woods variety (25% and over) and if you do come down with flu like symptoms, make sure you tell your Dr. you were traveling, so they will test for Dengue. It is unlikely you will contract Dengue in Cozumel, but better to be safe than sorry, and DEET will set you free (ha)...CN

I just read an article in my local paper saying that Dengue Fever is spreading rapidly through the Caribbean, including the Yucatan and Cozumel. I'm in no panic mode or anything, but can any of you folks who live in Coz let me know just what the level of threat is? Is this news at all in Cozumel... or just media hyperpole?:confused:

Thanks,
Don

Media hype and irresponsible and/or uninformed reporting!

As there are every single year, there are some reported cases of Dengue...but it's not widespread by any means.

The city is taking preventative measures as well by spraying every night. They drive through my neighborhood several times each night.

The best way one can prevent getting it is to apply mosquito repellent, don't hang around areas of stale stagnant water and if you're really worried, stay inside during the peak mosquito times which is a 30 to 45 minute period at dusk and dawn.

BTW...once you have a string of Dengue, you cannot get the same string again.

I had Dengue last July but I had the Costa Rican version that I picked up on my vacation. It's was like a very bad flu and took two to three weeks until I felt 100% again.

Yes, follow what the CDC says and you can't go wrong...don't get freaked out by what they say though either...as Christi says, there are 4 types, but having had one offers no protection against the other 3 (just to be clear). Again, repellant, repellant, repellant, DEET, DEET, DEET...stay away from standing puddled water in the dusk hours and early mornings...it's highly unlikely you are going to contract Dengue in Cozumel...

OK... the newspaper story is pretty much what I thought. Thanks folks, for you for your thoughtful, reasoned advice. We've been to Coz several times, and always take the same, normal precautions we use at home. As a matter of fact, I think the mosquitos are worse in my back yard than they are in Cozumel! We will keep the DEET handy. See you in November.

¡MUCHAS GRÁCIAS!

Don

After this same concern came up this spring here on the SB, I looked up dengue on the internet and found a map of the spread of it throughout this hemisphere.

the truth is you are more likely to catch it in the southeastern U.S. to east Texas, possibly even your hometown of Seguin, than you are in Cozumel.

...and we're all worried about West Nile...:crafty:

Hate to be the bubble burster but I contracted dengue last Feb in Cozumel. It was near freezing in Denver when I left and got back so there's little doubt where it originated. Mine was not the mild variety either. It is referred to as "bone break fever" and that may have been an understatement. Definitely do the deet. I read there is only one strain in Cozumel, anybody know if that's true. I'm heading back down in Dec.

The city is taking preventative measures as well by spraying every night. They drive through my neighborhood several times each night.

I wonder what's worse? Dengue or long term exposure to the spraying? They sprayed in San Pedro, Belize when I lived there and it smelled like malithion. Pretty overpowering too, even in our house.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom