Dema

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouch! My toes hurt. Oh wait, that's the foot foot, and foot foot foot thread.
Interesting that you think the travel industry made things go "south". If it were not for the travel industry sending people places, and resorts and dive shops that are in resort areas, where would the manufacturs be? Selling locally?
They need the travel industry to give more people places to dive other then the mud pits. I'm not just talking about " travel agents". The travel industry consists of resorts, and dive operators too. They all go to DEMA. Have you ever gone?

Could use your argument another way.........

If it weren't for the shops, instructors and manufacturers..............

who would you sell to?

The name change is interesting... trying to come up with something to encompass all in the diving "industry" rather than just the equipment manufacturers and their first tier customers (shops & instructors) and still call it "DEMA" - but I suppose "DIA" (Dive Industry Association) was already taken... (Defense Intelligence Agency).
Still, if we view dive travel as just another product to be sold - another piece of "equipment" - then the name fits.
In a perfect world I'd like to see two trade shows - one for the toys and another for the dive travel industry - but given we have only one, I'd rather see the travel folks included than not.
Of course, moving the show from New Orleans to Vegas and especially from January to October means I won't go... I'll be entirely too busy with students to take time off then for the show.
This January when I was looking forward to DEMA I'll be trying to put something together to replace it. October's already booked, and will be for the foreseeable future - and DEMA doesn't fit. If any of you are in a position to let the planners know the schedule change is a bad one for shops and instructors, please do so.
Rick

It was rescheduled under pressure from the travel industry, it's their off season. But the shops and instructors this is during their prime time.

There are several trade shows during the year, one in Houston, Chicago, one on the East Coast.

Originally posted by Iguana Don
It was rescheduled under pressure from the travel industry, it's their off season. But the shops and instructors this is during their prime time.

This is known as shooting oneself squarely in the foot. It isn't the manufacturers who buy travel; it isn't the travel industry that buys scuba equipment.
I hope they enjoy one another's company.
Rick

ANOTHER REASON FOR THE CHANGE TO OCTOBER WAS THE CANADIAN MARKET HAS THEIR SEASON WINDING DOWN AND CHANCES ARE YOU HAVE MONEY TO SPEND AFTER YOUR PRIME SEASON. JANUARY WE ARE COUNTING PENNIES TO GET THROUGH UNTIL SPRING SO A TRIP FOR US TO DEMA IS A FAIR INVESTMENT WHEN YOU CONSIDER OUR DOLLAR AIN'T WORTH A PLUG NICKLE.
AS FOR THE SOUTHERN RESORTS OCTOBER WORKS BETTER BECAUSE JAN. IS RIGHT IN THEIR BUSY SEASON AFTER WORKING IN UTILA WE FOUND IT VERY TRYING ON SOME OF THE STAFF BECAUSE THEY WANTED TO GO TO NEW ORLEANS BUT THAT REALLY HIT THE INCOME, SUPER BUSY TIME OF YEAR.

Don:
Just wondering ..Do you feel your reliable source is still right about this?
Thx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom