Dema

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Can the average diver type get into DEMA, or do you have to work for a scuba related store?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's suppose to be for diving professionals only. Meaning people involved in the industry one way or another,ie DMs and instructors, shop owners, manufactors, and etc. But I do believe that any of these people can get you in with them. I know I got an invitation to go with the owner of my LDS last year, but just couldn't get loose.

Only people directly associated with the Industry (dive shops, manufacturers, DMs and above) can attend DEMA.

Too bad... it's quite the show!

~SubMariner~

group calling themselves HAMMERHEADS get a place for them

The Hammerhead example is a good one. If the money flows, that's who goes. You can pay your way in by buying a booth and pushing your scuba related offering. You a travel agent selling Scuba vacations? The idea is that the show is for those who are in the scuba *business* - they needn't even be divers.
Rick

Gee, Good thing I don't take things personally.
DD, Dema was designed for scuba industry people. You don't have to be a diver to get in however. My business partner went with me last year, and she is not a diver. Can you get in? Yes, you could. Several ways. But the best thing to do is go to www.dema.org and check it out for yourself.
:sunny:

Originally posted by Rick Murchison
The Hammerhead example is a good one. If the money flows, that's who goes.....Rick

Isn't the Hammerheads scuba club DEMA sponsored? I went to a few meetings for the Houston Chapter when it got started. It wasn't my cup of tea because I like more local diving acitivities but as a social diver get together it wasn't bad. Each regional chapter has it's own personality.

Scuba journalists and those involved in the dive publication industry are invited to attend.

Happy holidays.

DocVikingo

Dee,
This might answer your question.

Since it's inception in 1999, the Hammerheads have been sponsored and funded by DEMA without dues being collected from individual chapters. Now that the organization has skyrocketed from 20 chapters to 125 chapters world wide, it is more important to keep the boat afloat. The new system will be announced shortly.

Back in the "good ole days", DEMA was the Dive Equipment Manufactures Association, but that has all changed, now it's Dive Equipment Marketing Association.

It used to be a trade show limited only to instructors and above, meaning shop owners and dealers. Similar to the trade shows for other markets such as automobiles, electronics, boating etc. A place for the owners and dealers to check out the new lines and products and place their orders for the new year, BUT.............

This all changed when they let the travel industry in. That is when the name changed and things started going "south."

Now the date has changed to satisify the travel industry and the shop owners and dealers are left sucking hind t*t.

The changes have not been for the good as can be seen in the absence of some of the top manufacturers.

Didn't mean to step on anybodies toes.

ID

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom