DEMA update?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$819 I think. I expect MSRP. They'd really be in trouble if they were cutting MAP and their dealers throats at the same time.

That's what I was thinking so I'm not sure that they selling retail to the public is going to be a big deal unless they sell online at a discount. Most of the local SP retail folks local to me sell to you at less than MSRP.

Reactions: mdb
What was the price? MSRP? If that's the case, you could buy it cheaper at your LDS in most cases.

The Scubapro direct price is MSRP.

For some folks the convenience of ordering online will make
SP's move successful.

SP's move successful.

Sure, it’ll be successful for Scubapro because there are people who have no LDS to buy from. And it makes absolute sense they can’t sell at a price less than their dealers...

However, I misinterpreted “selling direct to the customer” as meaning “selling parts direct to the customer”. NOW THAT would truly be groundbreaking news but probably just wishful thinking on my part.:D

SP's move successful.
Those are the same folks who rail on about incompetent tank monkeys, store owners, bad instructors, and who dive solo because they don't want to get stuck with an instabuddy who burns through their air.

Here is our video with the Diver's Alert Network. More to come.

My first DEMA was last year, but I only attended the last day when things were breaking down essentially. But I got on a idea of what I could get out of it. This year, I attended the entire thing, and prior to the start of the event, became certified as a Disabled Divers International instructor. During DEMA, I acquire a lot of information that I need to plan for my future dive op,
- from what compressors I'll be likely running (I'm trying to copy Wayne of Amigos as much as possible)
- to the realities of dive ops in Greece (as the Ministry of Culture sent a representative who runs a liveaboard)
- to learning to service my Deep 6 regs (and getting tools for such, not many are needed)
- to crossing over to SDI (for getting my foot in the door for teaching tech, just advanced nitrox for now)
- to looking into SSI's programs (as the shop for which I teach is adding SSI courses, I am going inactive with PADI at the end of the year).

I will say that I was quite impressed with RAID as a training organization. I had some great conversations with UTD, and was nice to see some myths that I was told be dispelled. Moving forward, I'm keeping an open mind.

There were great seminars on dive safety, accident analysis, marketing that I attended, and too many that I simply couldn't make due to a lack of time, but not interest. I made a lot of contacts, learned a lot from existing ones. For me, every moment was productive and I picked up some nice items, like an Xdeep Stealth 2.0 Tec RB, reusable heating gel packs, some spools. I hoped to get the clownfish DSMB, but I was given the information needed to order it later (as it will complete the DSMB manual I'll be publishing). It certainly was tiring at the end so I was quite happy that I had a late afternoon flight on Sunday as the girlfriend and I spent some time on New Smyrna beach relaxing and a bit of swimming before going home to temperatures 40 degrees colder.

If you are a dive pro looking at opening your own dive op one day, a lot of good contacts can be made at DEMA and a lot of information/advise can be obtained to help you be successful. I wish I could have ran into the Chairman and Wookie, but maybe next year or in 2 years.

@wetb4igetinthewater, how was the Deep 6 gear servicing course?

We only got to service the first stage ourselves, as 5 people signed up (including myself), but 10 people showed up, so we ran out of time in the end as tools had to be shared. Bill did a great job and all that he could do with this wrench in the plans. I feel very confident as to servicing the first stage of my regs. Bill demoed servicing the second stage, and made a lot of points. I wish I recorded it to get the maximum value, but will work on learning to service the second stage later, as I learn best by hands on (my memory is horrible). I haven't looked at the service manual yet, but it is supposed to be much more thorough than the typical one from other manufacturers (basically handholding through all steps). Bill basically ran us through the contents of it. Jim Lapenta wrote the manual, so I'll ping him with any questions. I'm planning on using a web cam pointed to my table to provide better communication/questions.

Back
Top Bottom