Dema show???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee,

I respect your experience and willingness to even discuss these matters. I'm not a fan of DEMA, or combined Consumer / Tradeshows, but...

Exactly how many consumers will attend the DEMA show in Las Vegas if it is available?
Please calculate the travel costs to the consumer when calculatiing the number.

Could be quite a few. Las Vegas is within reasonable driving distance from SoCal and Salt Lake.

I used to exhibit at Bike Industry Trade Show in Vegas. I'd guess ~50% of the attendees were not professionals, but "friends of the shop"

Can someone add what the 2009 entrance fee was?

No idea, but DEMA's high entrance fee is not cast in stone. It appears to be used primarily to discourage attendance. It could be reduced

What will the cost of the exhibition hall cost if it is a consumer show?

Again I have no idea. That is a matter to negotiate with the Hall. My *guess* is the Las Vegas Convention Center could be getting hungry. Tumble weeds blowing through the parking lot don't generate much $$ either.

How many exhibitors will bail because of the consumer show?

Lots.

This is not "simple", it is very complex. It is snap decisions like this that has caused the show harm. It might be what you want but not what the industry needs. Research and polling is needed to develop the answers and sometimes even the answers are wrong.

Yup. You need trusted hard nosed folks in any "turn around effort" I don't see the needed attitude or talent.

It strikes me as odd that I am somehow supporting DEMA as I am one of their biggest critics.

I'm with ya there, feels odd to me too.

Tobin

How many exhibitors will bail because of the consumer show?

Ultimately, in the bitter end, I disagree, I dont think many will bail. Dema is the only dive show with an international appeal, manufacturers distributors / retailers / chain sport store buyers and even some commercial companies travel from every corner of the world to attend, its probably the only time they can see a supplier from the USA, China and Europe in one hall - today its impossible cost wise for a buyer to fly all over the world visiting differant suppliers.

Brand manufacturers are very aware of this, sure the domestic market is important to them, but they also have markets elsewhere to keep in the loop.

Everybody knows that even if a manufacturer is not exhibiting, they will almost, without a doubt, have a "local hotel conference room" available to meet parties, and will have staff walking / working the floor - there are too many international customers visiting Dema for a global brand to not be available - with the exception of "interboot" (which ALSO has a consumer presence and you are STILL likely to find ALL the global brands exhibiting) these significant customers wont visit other smaller dive shows around the world.

I ended my first post on this subject asking for someone, anyone to convince me one way or the other on the subject of including consumers in the mix with industry trade companies at DEMA. EDGE has convinced me that while I love to see change that improves anything I am involved with, I believe this particular change would not benefit anyone in the business. Luckily for me the board will have to make that decision, not me.

Now let me address the comments from EDGE: "reeks of entitlement of behalf of DEMA." I do not have to hide anything from anyone in any situation and if I were representing DEMA in any way I would have said that from the beginning. I don't know how you handle business but hiding my intentions is not how I handle mine. I have nothing to gain here and I usually avoid these discussions because of the “know it all” chat room prowlers that make everything personal. Fortunately, the rational thinking people far out way the irrational people on ScubaBoard and that is why I like to drop in and see what the divers are doing here.

I agree with EDGE that anyone who puts their future solely in one company’s hands is foolish..... BUT, anyone who bashes an organization that helps to provide growth for the industry they work in is a FOOL…. Maybe he is part time, I will have to check. This is a public platform and anyone who criticizing something because of difference of opinion and becaue they can’t seem to monetize the event provided shows everyone an example of foolish behavior. I make a substantial amount of my income at DEMA every year because I utilize what they provide instead of trying to make excuses for my lack of ability to do so. If you want to make a difference, run for the DEMA board.

I embrace change more than most; my company is bringing the platform of nationwide television as a marketing platform to the industry as we speak. Our new show just went on the air last week and we have plans for the launch of two more diving related shows on nationwide TV this year.

Many strong dive industry companies have tried to duplicate DEMA and have failed, only to realize it is better for us to unite than to be divided. If you want to make change, do so by implementing change from within. Run for the DEMA board and provide your input in a democratic fashion so the industry leaders you will be sharing the board with can hear and understand those ideas and help make changes for the better of all.

DEMA is the only association that has survived the years of people criticizing them. They survive because they are in touch; they are a board of diving professionals (voted in) doing the best they can to make our industry better. I am a bit offended by the "I know best" attitude is immolated here but your opinions are having and will continue to have little or no affect on the progress of the industry I love, but DEMA will continue to help my company and my career.

Thanks to rational thoughts outweighing irrational actions, my opinion on this subject is: DEMA should remain as is in regards to mixing industry with consumers and I look forward to hanging with all the consumers at the shows that are organized for them to enjoy.

Randy Harris
Executive Producer
LiquidAssets.tv Productions

I ended my first post on this subject asking for someone, anyone to convince me one way or the other on the subject of including consumers in the mix with industry trade companies at DEMA. EDGE has convinced me that while I love to see change that improves anything I am involved with, I believe this particular change would not benefit anyone in the business. Luckily for me the board will have to make that decision, not me.

Now let me address the comments from EDGE: "reeks of entitlement of behalf of DEMA." I do not have to hide anything from anyone in any situation and if I were representing DEMA in any way I would have said that from the beginning. I don't know how you handle business but hiding my intentions is not how I handle mine. I have nothing to gain here and I usually avoid these discussions because of the “know it all” chat room prowlers that make everything personal. Fortunately, the rational thinking people far out way the irrational people on ScubaBoard and that is why I like to drop in and see what the divers are doing here.

I agree with EDGE that anyone who puts their future solely in one company’s hands is foolish..... BUT, anyone who bashes an organization that helps to provide growth for the industry they work in is a FOOL…. Maybe he is part time, I will have to check. This is a public platform and anyone who criticizing something because of difference of opinion and becaue they can’t seem to monetize the event provided shows everyone an example of foolish behavior. I make a substantial amount of my income at DEMA every year because I utilize what they provide instead of trying to make excuses for my lack of ability to do so. If you want to make a difference, run for the DEMA board.

I embrace change more than most; my company is bringing the platform of nationwide television as a marketing platform to the industry as we speak. Our new show just went on the air last week and we have plans for the launch of two more diving related shows on nationwide TV this year.

Many strong dive industry companies have tried to duplicate DEMA and have failed, only to realize it is better for us to unite than to be divided. If you want to make change, do so by implementing change from within. Run for the DEMA board and provide your input in a democratic fashion so the industry leaders you will be sharing the board with can hear and understand those ideas and help make changes for the better of all.

DEMA is the only association that has survived the years of people criticizing them. They survive because they are in touch; they are a board of diving professionals (voted in) doing the best they can to make our industry better. I am a bit offended by the "I know best" attitude is immolated here but your opinions are having and will continue to have little or no affect on the progress of the industry I love, but DEMA will continue to help my company and my career.

Thanks to rational thoughts outweighing irrational actions, my opinion on this subject is: DEMA should remain as is in regards to mixing industry with consumers and I look forward to hanging with all the consumers at the shows that are organized for them to enjoy.

Randy Harris
Executive Producer
LiquidAssets.tv Productions

I wonder if you and Chris (Edge) remember talking on the patio at the Hotel one night during DEMA>.....about some of this same stuff....:eyebrow: Probably didn't even make the connection

ahahahahahahahaha

I am sure the conversation on the patio was much more enjoyable with a few coctails being shared.

it certainly was and I certainly remember.

Regardless

I have been making my living full time in the dive industry since leaving the military in 1995. I have been able to monetize the event certainly. Now, that is out of the way.

My absolute DISGUST with DEMA has to do with the organization, not the show. People often get the two confused.

You can't just decide to run for the DEMA BOD, it is not possible. The DEMA BOD has a sub board comprised of BOD members who decide who gets to run. Think about that for a few minutes.

I must disagree that DEMA has actually succeeded in promoting growth of diving. As we discussed while drinking, YOU (Liquid Assets) will do more for diving than they.

I am pleased to hear that DEMA is helping you and your career, can you elaborate on exactly how? I am not referring to the networking opportunities that the DEMA show provides (which can be done at consumer shows just as easily).

I am not sure where you got the idea that I am a major proponent of the DEMA show being open to consumers, I'm really not. One day at the end sure, but the whole show? Not by a long shot.

You can't just decide to run for the DEMA BOD, it is not possible. The DEMA BOD has a sub board comprised of BOD members who decide who gets to run. Think about that for a few minutes.

Dear Chris,
As the newly elected chairperson of the Nominations Committee, I would like to comment on your apparent misconception of how prospective DEMA Board Candidates are identified. Finding members to volunteer for service on the board is difficult. Historically, the members of the Nominations Committee scour the industry to find members willing to stand for election.
As outlined in Section 4 e, any member may stand for election, provided they meet provisions outlined there.

As the Nominations Committee chairman, I along with the other 3 members of the committee, (the 4th being when the A2 election is finished), would like to invite you to stand for election for the 2011 A-1 Manufactures seat.

For more information on how the Board of Directors of DEMA are Nominated or Elected, See below or by going to DEMA

If you have any more questions, please give me a call.

Section 4. Nomination and Election.

a. The nomination of candidates for membership on the Board of Directors shall be made by the Nominating Committee or by written petition.

b. The Nominating Committee shall comprise five (5) members with one representative from each of the five Class A Divisions. The members of the Nominating Committee may be members of the Board of Directors but no Director standing for election may serve on the Committee. The Nominating Committee shall be nominated by the President and approved by the Board of Directors at the first meeting of the Board of Directors after the annual election of Directors. Members of the Nominating Committee will serve for one year or until their successors have been selected and installed.

c. The Nominating Committee shall operate under such procedures as are adopted from time-to-time by the Board of Directors. The Nominating Committee will submit a slate of candidates to the Board of Directors which may accept or change the slate of nominees and shall present the slate of nominees to the Membership of the Association not less than ninety (90) days prior to the date of the election which shall be December 15 or such other date selected by the Board of Directors from time to time.

d. The Nominating Committee shall exert due diligence to locate and recommend more than one suitable candidate for each Director seat to be filled in the particular election.

e. Additional nominations for the Board of Directors shall be included in the final slate of nominees when proposed by a signed petition of Members holding two percent (2%) or more of the voting power of the Association or by at least ten (10) Regular Members, whichever is less. Such nominations must be presented in writing to the Secretary of the Association no less than sixty (60) days prior to the election.

f. The Directors shall be elected to the Board of Directors by the Regular Members of the Association. The Secretary shall prepare an official ballot listing the names of the nominees and shall provide the ballots to the Regular Members and conduct an election of Directors at a meeting of the Regular Members called for the purpose of electing the members of the Board of Directors, by ballot or by proxy or by letter ballot at the discretion of the Board of Directors.

g. The candidate receiving the most votes for the particular Director seat for which such person is nominated shall be elected Director for the Board Seat. When two or more Director seats are subject to election within a Division or at large, the top two or more candidates receiving the most votes for the particular division or at large Director seat shall be elected. When the term of one seat is longer than the other seat within a Division, the candidate(s) with the most votes shall be elected for the Director seat(s) with longer term(s). In the event of a tie in the election of a Director, the current Board of Directors then sitting shall select the Director from amongst those candidates who have tied for such Board seat.

Keith E. Sahm
DEMA Nominations Committee Chair
Director of Marketing - Sunset House
Cayman Islands Scuba Diving Resort

Back
Top Bottom