Delrin vs. SS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baenglish73:
You can paint anything. Maybe there will be a niche market for custom-designed backplates. (Like skateboards). I wouldn't mind a flashy graphic on my backplate - much needed conspicuous consumption for divers.

:jaws2:

You know I was just kiddn' right? LOL I did see one company had powder coated backplates in yellow, purple, and such. Not sure why, but they did. I guess some personalization is a good thing. I don't want to be called a sheep or lemming! I'll stick with my shiny SS though.

Boogie711:
Interesting. Try something for us, would you? Freeze both a delrin tri-glide and a SS tri-glide. Stick in vise. Hit with hammer.

I'd be curious to see if the delrin shatters and the SS just bends. Just curious is all.

I'm guessing the standard plastic weight retainers would break also. Most plastic gets brittle when really cold. According to Dupont, Delrin contains a nylon resin that is temperature tolerant. I guess you wouldn't want to put a plastic tri-glide on in place of a Delrin.

After seeing the loads they put on these Delrin pulleys, I'm thinking they will hold a tank with no problem - especially under water where dead weight lessens.

As I said before, I'm lazy. I should have done the research before doing the thread, but I actually learned something.

In my mind, SS will always be king, but there doen't seem to be any critical need to get rid the Delrin.

Back
Top Bottom