Delrin backup light and reel source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Recently bought some gear off this guy on eBay - he maintains a store there. Basically he sells mainly Delrin backup lights and Delrin safety reels. I bought a couple of lights and a reel off him, and they're top quality - and cheaper than other similar products. Service was great too! More importantly they worked on the dive :) The lights look indestructable - I never appreciated how strong Delrin actually is until I handled it.

Anyway here's his inventory:

Canadian Extreme

Ben

Hmmm... A "backup" light?

Isn't that the only light DIR allows one to butt-mount? And what about a backup beeper? You should really be making some kind of noise to alert other divers that you are backing up, right? Otherwize you might run into them with your tank. :wink:

Originally posted by dc4bs
You should really be making some kind of noise to alert other divers that you are backing up, right? Otherwize you might run into them with your tank. :wink:

Hmmm... I guess your right....
I wouldn't want to back into one of those panic prone rec. divers trying to sneak up from behind and mug me for my long hose...

:wink:

UP, have you compared the lights your buddy bought with EE's? Are they virtual replicas or does the Scout have an edge?

Mike

I know that the Scout and the Canadian Extreme lights both use the Underwater Kinetics SL4 bulb, reflector and bezel, which you can buy as a seperate assembly. The only difference would be in the actual light's body, and both are constructed of Delrin. The Canadian Extreme lights have twin o-rings on the body as well - not sure if the Scout does. Apart from that they are almost identical from photographs.

Andy - does the Scout have twin o-rings under the rubber bezel? If it does, then I think they're identical in pretty much all aspects. No doubt about the quality of the Canadian lights, and I've heard nothing bad about the Scout.

There is another difference between the (original?) UK and the Scout.....

The UK ones have a rather.. how should I put it politely.. ill-thought-out contraption inside to hold the batteries. When (not if) your light floods (esp. in salt water) and the metal in that contraption goes south, it can be a pain to fix/replace.

The Scout has a plain strip of metal. Mucho easier to replace (or fix in the field).

I have no idea what the Canadian Extreme has on the inside. You would probably want to check that out.

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
UP, have you compared the lights your buddy bought with EE's? Are they virtual replicas or does the Scout have an edge?

Mike

I'll check... I hadn't noticed any external or functional difference....

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom