Delayed skin reaction to something he touched

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Last week my husband and I were diving in Negril. He grabbed the wing of a sunken plane at one point on the dive and after the dive his fingers stung a little but were fine. Now a full week later, his fingers have turned red and become quite swollen. He had no swelling for all of the trip. The swelling and redness did not begin until a week after the contact. I am concerned about local doctors knowing what to make of this since we are no where near the ocean.

Can a nematocyst sting have this kind of a delay, or does this have to be something else? Should he be worried about staph? What kind of a doctor should he see?

Thanks!

Typically marine life stings don't take a week to manifest. He may have retained fragments from a marine organism (e.g. coral) which could be causing inflammation/infection. Delayed hypersensitivity reaction is also possible but he's a bit outside the window for that. Does he have a fever? Also, is he under a doctor's care for anything else?
If you PM me your location I'll see if there is a diving physician near you who may be more familiar with marine life injuries than your local urgent care doc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom