Dehydration Whilst Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBadger32

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have heard many ways to work around dehydration why under water, like during deco stops or very long rebreather diving. How do you deal with it? My favorite so far (though I havent tried it), is i the capri-sun, because you can keep them in a bcd pocket, and easily open them underwater, and because they wont leak, you get a significant amount of liquid from container v water you are diving in.

Camelback, though I don’t bother if the exposure is less than three hours

I have a Deep Sea Supply camel back thing that goes between the channel of my doubles. Like @grantctobin it has to be a pretty long dive for me to bother with it.
If I'm doing long sidemount diving then I strap a camelback to my O2 bottle.

The reality with CCR diving though is because the loop is at 100% RH you aren't nearly as dehydrated as when you're at 0% RH from an open circuit regulator so even after 5-6hrs I'm usually not nearly as thirsty as I am after a 2hr OC dive.

Ocean diving I really don't bother with though because you always end up with some salt in your mouth and the dives are comparatively short.

i used to have a really problem when ocean diving. so much so that i have had my throat basically completely close off during a dive. not a fun experience when under water. lol

i also tried using a hydration bladder and would just carry some fluid with me in a pocket and just drink some throught the straw when needed.

it took some practice but it worked. i do ot seem to have that problem anymore and have not used it for a long time.

Pre-dive hydration is first line.

Camelback for long stuff. Two for really long dives, one with water and the 2nd with 50% diluted Gatorade.

For years... I have just kept a full 8oz regular store bought water bottle in my BC pocket and then drink that during my dive. I use the ones that have the pop-up top to just pull up with your teeth. Just remove your reg and drink away. Sure the bottle shrinks up to a "prune" at depth but who cares..

8zPPwxe.jpg

Any dive with over 200min of deco I always have a camelbak with some Gatorade, and a pack gummy bears to snack on dropped off to me at 6

Its just nice a refreshing to have a sugary drink after being in the water that long.

Snapped this funny picture of my dive buddy hanging out in the sand on a 6hr dive watching some Netflix with our Camelbak waiting to clear deco
1644896235220.jpeg

Wrong forum mate, we're in advanced

I find these to be very easy to drink underwater.
I prefer them with healthier contents

1644896754296.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom