Defog--what works best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spit all the way. Not a fan of having unidentified chemicals within inches of my eyeballs. Free, unlimited source, all natural... More testing is needed but I've found that allowing the spit to dry before going into the water makes it work better.

I did some testing recently. I'm trying out stick-on lenses, and couldn't find a defog that would keep the stick-on lens fog free. Sea Drops, Sea Drops Gold, spit and 500 PSI did not work. I've been a Sea Drops fan for years, so that was disappointing.

Sea Vision however works and works well. It's a small spray bottle, and a small puff in each lens is plenty. Keeps the mask *and* stick-on lens fog free for a 1 1/2 hour dive in 60° water.

I've tried baby shampoo as well - though not with the stick-on lens - and it worked, but I just couldn't handle the smell.

Henrik

I think one will find that all the de-fogs on the market work. Its just a question of which you prefer. I personally do not have a preference. I think one works just about as well as another.

Something worth noting is the cause of fogging is dirt, contamination, make-up, etc, that has found its way onto the mask glass.

The point being, if your mask is clean, it will not fog.

After cleaning my mask (using joy liquid, soft scrub, or those little bottles of hair shampoo found in the hotel rooms), I apply a common scuba store de-fogger. I usually clean my mask and apply the de-fogger, the morning of the planned dives.

The boats usually have a mask bucket full of water. I place my mask in the bucket in between dives and do not make a second application of de-fog before the second dive.

ps: I have started using a mask sealer (sold in scuba stores). It is applied to the inner lip of the silicon skirt. I have found that I can wear my mask much less tight and still have a very good seal. It comes in a little tube, like Chap-Stik, and applies similar to vasoline. It drys faster than vasoline and develops a tackyness.

Baby shampoo mixed with water, about 1 to 1 parts, in a little plastic bottle. It should be runny enough that a single dunk rinses out the excess. A single bottle of shampoo will last you forever. As a bonus, you can also use your "defog" for your hair if there's shower facilities getting out of the water. :wink:

Spit is my backup. Though, I tend to dive with a lot of new divers and it's usually considered more polite to offer some watery baby shampoo than offer to spit in their mask.

There's a plant with big succulent leaves that grows on sandy beaches here on Guam that some local divers pick and crush/smear on their mask. I've tried it but didn't think it was any better than spit. I gave up on commercial defog after finding baby shampoo.

My spit works really well in other people's masks.

dish soap? nope ...can't see well as it is!!!!
burns my oh so tender eyes.....
j and j baby! yep!!
sea drops-my pic

yaeg

You gotta take your licks with this sport. The higher amount of pain, the more gain. :D Including yoh' eyes!!! Pales compared to divin' in that ice hole of yours.

Personally, I think baby shampoo hurts in the shower. Than again, I've never used Dawn to wash my hair! :D

X

Spit. Works perfectly, is free, never runs out and always with you.

With a dry mask, spit in it, rub it in HARD and LEAVE IT. Then when in the water simple flood,rinse it as you start to descend and perfect.

If you have cleaned your mask properly, there are tons of things that will work as a defog (as this thread has shown). I use my spit.

The key is making sure your mask is properly cleaned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom