Deflating a wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski:
if the wing is not a donut shape, i.e. the bladder is not connected on the bottom of the wing, you will need to use the following procedure to dump air while horizontal. raise your right butt chic, then raise your right shoulder, then raise your left shoulder, then raise your left but chic, then dump using the rare dump.

... then you do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Soggy:
The OMS single tank wing isn't a donut wing, it's a horseshoe, which would partially explain your dumping problems from the rear dump valve.
How is that any different than dumping from a doubles wing which are all horseshoes? Your logic would indicate that people have problems dumping from them as well.

BTW, I own the OMS single wing and a Halcyon doubles wing, neither of which have problems dumping air from the lower valve.

mempilot:
How is that any different than dumping from a doubles wing which are all horseshoes? Your logic would indicate that people have problems dumping from them as well.

Well, they do have trouble. I did at first. Horseshoe wings are a pain in the arse, but a necessary evil for doubles. You just have to learn how to do it properly...there is technique involved in moving the air where it needs to be vs a donut wing where you just need to roll to the right.

In a horizontal position, rolling to the right will allow the OMS singles wing to deflate from the rear dump. The reason it is sewn off at the bottom is that some backplates coupled with this wing don't require a STA. The STA would normally position the tank off the bp and allow for air migration through the portion of the wing between the body and tank. Put a donut wing on this some backplates without a STA and it gets crimped at that point anyway.

I've logged a lot of dives with the OMS singles wing, and using the same method for emptying air out of any bladder, it does just fine dumping from the rear valve.

I guess if one had a really long backplate it might get crimped. My Pioneer wing extends far below the backplate so air will always flow through that portion without being impeaded.

mempilot:
The STA would normally position the tank off the bp and allow for air migration through the portion of the wing between the body and tank. Put a donut wing on this some backplates without a STA and it gets crimped at that point anyway.

NWGratefulDiver:
... then you do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's what its all about?

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will try to practice again using the dump valve. I know I was in a perfect horizontal position when I tried using the rear dump valve but it just did not release air unless the bladder was 50% filled at least (just approximating). In fact I thought that I should have gotten a 27 lb instead of 32 lb. Anyway I shall practice some more. I probably just need to improve my skills.

by the way I think I do have a donut wing. Its the 32# Lift single cylinder travel BC from OMS on the link below (the black BC).

http://www.omsdive.com/buoyancy.html#DUALBLADDER

VTernovski:
if the wing is not a donut shape, i.e. the bladder is not connected on the bottom of the wing, you will need to use the following procedure to dump air while horizontal. raise your right butt chic, then raise your right shoulder, then raise your left shoulder, then raise your left but chic, then dump using the rare dump.

umm kinda hard to imagine how to do this, but I shall try practice it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom