Deflating a wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xizang

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just bought and tested a backplate and wing BC last saturday. I was wondering if you guys also need to stand upright to release air from your wing? or if in a horizontal swimming position I need to take the inflator hose out of the bungy retainer to release air. I use an OMS 30 lb wing.

I also noticed that the dump valve at the back can only release air if the bladder is more than 50% full.

This is my first time to use backplate and wing and was wondering if the equipment is the problem or I just need to improve on some skills.

Axua:
Just bought and tested a backplate and wing BC last saturday. I was wondering if you guys also need to stand upright to release air from your wing? or if in a horizontal swimming position I need to take the inflator hose out of the bungy retainer to release air. I use an OMS 30 lb wing.

I also noticed that the dump valve at the back can only release air if the bladder is more than 50% full.

This is my first time to use backplate and wing and was wondering if the equipment is the problem or I just need to improve on some skills.

Normally you should be able to use the dump valve in the back all the time. When there is a little air in my wing it will fold itself around the tanks in such a way that the dump valve will be the highest part (when swimming horizontally).
It may take you a few dives before you can find that dumpvalve automatically.

The inflator hose is only used for dumping air when you leave the surface.

Reinoud:
Normally you should be able to use the dump valve in the back all the time. When there is a little air in my wing it will fold itself around the tanks in such a way that the dump valve will be the highest part (when swimming horizontally).
It may take you a few dives before you can find that dumpvalve automatically.

The inflator hose is only used for dumping air when you leave the surface.

I agree with the above comment just adding that you may need to roll slightly to get the lower dump valve you are using, a little higher, to get air out of the other side of the wing, which may also be folded up around the tank. A slight roll and air will flow from one side of the wing to the other.

Your original post makes it sound like you are not quite horizontal.

Axua:

if the wing is not a donut shape, i.e. the bladder is not connected on the bottom of the wing, you will need to use the following procedure to dump air while horizontal. raise your right butt chic, then raise your right shoulder, then raise your left shoulder, then raise your left but chic, then dump using the rare dump.

Problem with some of the wings is that the dump valve is on the "bottom" side of the wing when the diver is in a horizontal position. Doesn't facilitate the dumping of air from that valve.

That's one thing I like about the Dive Rite "Venture" wing, the dump valve is on the "top" side when the diver is in a horizontal position.

The Kraken:
Problem with some of the wings is that the dump valve is on the "bottom" side of the wing when the diver is in a horizontal position. Doesn't facilitate the dumping of air from that valve.

That's one thing I like about the Dive Rite "Venture" wing, the dump valve is on the "top" side when the diver is in a horizontal position.

Yes but normally the wing wraps the tank and as you pull the cord vertically upwards, the tip of the wing twists and lets the air out.
If the wing is so full that this doesn't happen, then the air will just come out under pressure anyway.

Just give the wing a little squeeze (i.e. roll your arm against it) as you pull the dump chord. It should dump just fine. Sometimes you do need to do a little shifting of gas with the horseshoe shaped wings as someone else described. I only go vertical when the terrain requires it. Then I dump from the deflator.

Axua:

VTernovski:
...raise your right butt chic...
First the pink underwear, then diving haute couture. Vadim, people are going to start talking.

WJL:
First the pink underwear, then diving haute couture. Vadim, people are going to start talking.

LOL... hey, that's how I was taught by Andrew,.. but then again, take it for what it's worth as he has been known for some serious rule 6 violations himself! :lol2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom