Definition of turn pressure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure who the originator of this document is. In the properties it simply states Murcar's.. So I do not know who to give credit to...

Tons of information regarding air management and planning..

Like Rick said, "Turn Pressure" is just a psi (or bar) at which you will begin to return to your exit point. It can be any amount and there is no assumption that it will safely get you and your buddy out of a situation. It is just a number you agree upon before the dive. "Rock Bottom" is a minimum pressure to get you and your buddy breathing on the same tank to the surface in a non-overhead environment. That psi changes based on tank size, depth, assumed stressed SAC rates of you and your buddy, assumed ascent rate, etc. Lamont wrote an excellent article on Rock Bottom: http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=735077&postcount=33
continued here:http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=735077&postcount=34

Charlie99:
I use "turn pressure" and "rock bottom" to mean slightly different things.
Me too, but I may decide my turn pressure based on rock bottom, especially if turning the dive means ascending directly, and not swimming back.

shrswnm:
How is SAC determined? I assume it is air consumption, but what does the S stand for?

The S stands for Surface. Surface Air Consumption is a calculation of the volume of air you use per minute while diving at 1 atmosphere of pressure.

In order to get it, descend to a depth (lets say 33 ft... that's 1 additional atmosphere of water pressure, so it makes the math easy) and note your current pressure. Swim normally at that depth for 10 minutes, and note your new pressure. Subtract your end pressure from your start pressure, and you'll know how much air you used in psi. Let's say for the sake of simplicity that you used 1000 psi. We want to know how much you used in cubic feet though, so there's some easy math involved.

Find the volume of your tank, and it's service pressure. For example, an AL80 holds 77.4 cubic feet of air when filled to 3000 psi. Divide the volume by the service pressure, and you'll have the volume of air represented by each psi. In this case, 77.4/3000=.0258.

If we multiply air you consumed in psi by the volume each psi represents, we get the volume of air you consumed. In this case, .0258*1000=25.8 cubic feet consumed in 10 minutes at depth. If we divide that by ten minutes, we can see that you consumed 2.58 cubic feet per minute at depth.

Now, we need to know the actual pressure in atmospheres (ATA) of the depth at which you were swimming. We get that by dividing depth by 33 and adding 1 (for the earth's atmosphere). In this case, (33/33)+1=2 ATA.

If we divide the volume per minute at depth by the depth in ATA, we get your SAC. In this case, 2.58/2=1.29. Your SAC would be 1.29 in this case.

Using that number, you can determine how much gas you will use at a given depth in a given amount of time. If, for example, you wanted to know how much gas you'd use if you stayed for an extra 5 minutes at 110 feet, you could figure out that (110/33)+1=4.34 ATA for that depth, and multiply that by your SAC and the number of minutes to see that you would use an extra 4.34*1.29*5=28 cubic feet of air.

You can use it to figure out what size tanks you need to do a dive, what duration/depth dive you can do with tanks you have, rock bottom gas requirements, or even just to monitor how much less gas you've been using since giving up smoking.

MSilvia:
The S stands for Surface. Surface Air Consumption is a calculation of the volume of air you use per minute while diving at 1 atmosphere of pressure.
Barbara dives in Israel. They use bar and liters. But the tank sizes are in liquid volume (measured in liters), not compressed gas volume like we use.

So, in what units do you metric divers measure your consumption? I assume it's liters/minute. But do you use liquid volume liters (naw, that won't work), or convert your tank sizes to compressed gas volume? How is the conversion done?

(I'm sure I could think this through. I'm just not in the mood.)

DIvesWithTurtles:
But do you use liquid volume liters (naw, that won't work), or convert your tank sizes to compressed gas volume? How is the conversion done?
The calculations are pretty straightforward. Use 100 bar out of an 11 liter tank and you've used 100*11= 1100 liters. Divide it by minutes and ata (which is also a lot easier in metric) to get RVM or SAC in liter/min.

My very conservative rock bottom tables using Lamont's thoughts on the matter. I usually plan my bottom time so I'm at the exit point before implementing a rock bottom scenario. Since, I haven't had to engage the tables, I have plenty of air left to off gas in the 20' to shallower ranges.

Charlie99:
The calculations are pretty straightforward. Use 100 bar out of an 11 liter tank and you've used 100*11= 1100 liters. Divide it by minutes and ata (which is also a lot easier in metric) to get RVM or SAC in liter/min.
Duh, yep, pretty simple. Thanks, Charlie. So my .52 ft3/min. SAC is about 15 liters/min. Good to know.

Hey, why don't we all go metric. :wink:

do it easy:
Because we don't want foreign rulers!!!
OOooo... You should get the stick for that!

(Or maybe you should be put out in the yard.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom