Define DISTRESS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

labaum

Registered
Reaction score
I surfaced this weekend from a "Lemon Shark" dive down here in Palm Beach in the middle of a driving rainstorm. My buddy (coincidentally, the dive master who was diving that day) and I saw our boat in the distance and weren't sure if (a) the boat couldn't see us or (b) could see us but were picking up other divers.
We bobbed in the water for 25 minutes with our safety tubes bent over by the wind, our lights aimed at the boat starting to dim, and our whistles drowned out by the storm.
By now, we were also worried about being struck by craft racing back to shore.
At this point, when I saw our boat getting closer (but still not approaching us for a pick up) I started to wave.
The dive master said, "Don't do that, he'll think we're in distress".
Were we?

Did you have your mask on forehead? I'd have done that.

BOOMSHAKALAKA!

A boat I was on had the following rule:

waving with one hand >> requiring assistance...

waving with two hands >> come and get me NOW...

labaum:
Were we?

i don't think so. you weren't in immediate need of assistance at that point.

also, the DM is probably more familiar than you with weather, and it probably
wasn't as big a deal to him. people who are unfamiliar with the ocean
tend to over-estimate the severity of rain and wind on the water.

but i would have done the same thing you did. i would have waved.
i would have made sure they saw me to pick me up.

better safe than sorry.

labaum:
I surfaced this weekend from a "Lemon Shark" dive down here in Palm Beach in the middle of a driving rainstorm. My buddy (coincidentally, the dive master who was diving that day) and I saw our boat in the distance and weren't sure if (a) the boat couldn't see us or (b) could see us but were picking up other divers.
We bobbed in the water for 25 minutes with our safety tubes bent over by the wind, our lights aimed at the boat starting to dim, and our whistles drowned out by the storm.
By now, we were also worried about being struck by craft racing back to shore.
At this point, when I saw our boat getting closer (but still not approaching us for a pick up) I started to wave.
Were we?

Being in distress can also be state of mind. So given the above scenario if you felt the need for immediate assistance, wave like craze.

Each boat has their own procedure although they should all have the same for just this situation IMHO. The boat I was on was the same. It is best to follow the procedure of the captain on this one. This should have been covered in the briefing. Waving the tube or arms was considered a COME GET ME NOW 911 whereas you were only a Bobber at that point and not in a 911 situation. I agree that its a little concerning to bob around like that but with currents the captain should be able to come pick you up pretty easily. The reason that people typically get left behind is that there is an inaccurate count of the people or in some instances....no count is done. Extrememly rare but it has happened.

You were not in need of immediate assistance so don't summon it.

It seems you were in distress, and the DM was there using his training to bring you back from distress, he knew the boat was going to pick you guys up and was not worried. What you were doing was narrowing you reasoning and focusing on a negative outcome vs. a positive outcome, this happens to divers in distress.
Waiving your arms was moving towards panicked, and this the DM helped to stop.
Glad it all worked out.

Define DISTRESS? Hummmmmmmmmm, When you can't drive a straight pin up your butt with a real big Jack Hammer! Now that's stress.

Gary D. :D

Did you panic? Did you burn through all of your air in less than about a minute? Did your chest get tight and were you overwhelmed with the feeling that you were about to be a statistic on a post on this site? I'd call these signs of distress. If one or all of these aren't on your list, then I guess the DM did his job. You're okay though, right? Now that it's over, it's best to evaluate the situation, point out the good and bad, and decide what should have been done or what you could change if you could go back, based on the situation. After that, move on. I've been told to let myself deal with an event for 24 hours max then drop it and move on.

Back
Top Bottom