Defiance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnMarshall12

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just rented the movie “Defiance” this weekend. It is good under the radar movie. It has WWII plot and is a story about survival. Also, doesn't get carried away with the special effects. I recommend it along with the movie “Taken”.

I thought about getting "Defiance" along with "Taken" but went with "Valkyrie" instead. Will have to try "Defiance next week (2-for-1 on Mondays here on the island).

One caveat I forgot to mention about Defiance. It does start out a little slow and is a little longer than the average film. However, as long as its not the last thing you do before bed, you should be fine. Another interesting thing about the movie is its based on a true story.

2 for 1 sounds like a pretty good deal on movies. I pay a $1 dollar a night for mine through Redbox.

Taken was one of my favorite movies of the year. Defiance was ok, but I thought Liev Schrieber's performance was a little flat. Overall the movie felt a little drawn out. I think my wife fell asleep.

BTW, I just saw the movie Miracle At Saint Anna and was not impressed. It is a decent movie but nothing special. If you guys were considering this one at all, I would pass on it.

Defiance and Taken are great films. I used to work for a Holocaust survivor who survived by joining a partisan group in Poland.
Did he ever talk about this time period or did he remain closed off about it?

Defiance is great. It is in fact a true story about the Bielski brothers who ultimately moved to the US. The leader, Tovia Bielski lead a very humble and quiet existence in NY after the war, despite the fact that he saved hundreds of people.
I must admit that many survivors don't wish to revisit the inhumanity of those events, such as my father who until recently rarely spoke about his experiences despite many years of quietly staying up during the night unable to sleep haunted by what happened. It was an inhuman and ruthless time ; the depth of which I doubt we can possibly appreciate. The time is full of unrecognized heroes and nameless victims. I'm glad that this story has emerged and once again shed light upon a time we need to remember if we are not to repeat it.

Defiance is great. It is in fact a true story about the Bielski brothers who ultimately moved to the US. The leader, Tovia Bielski lead a very humble and quiet existence in NY after the war, despite the fact that he saved hundreds of people.
I must admit that many survivors don't wish to revisit the inhumanity of those events, such as my father who until recently rarely spoke about his experiences despite many years of quietly staying up during the night unable to sleep haunted by what happened. It was an inhuman and ruthless time ; the depth of which I doubt we can possibly appreciate. The time is full of unrecognized heroes and nameless victims. I'm glad that this story has emerged and once again shed light upon a time we need to remember if we are not to repeat it.

This is a very good post. However, humankind's history on earth suggests we will do these types of acts again. Basically, this is occurring in some areas of Africa as we speak. Still, this doesn't change the importance of the lesson. Sadly, we humans are a stubborn group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom