Defective Padi Wheel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnW

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Drysuiting it.... in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My Dive Buddy and I just got PADI Wheels to help with the Multi Level Diver Specialty. Even though the registration Marks line up, our results are much different from those in the Book. I looked at the picture on Page 39 fig 5-10 and our Yellow PG Index seems to be printed about 1/4 to 1/3" lower than in the pictures. I think this is where the errors are comming from. Has there been any reported problems with the wheel?

It happens. Usually they are close but I've seen 3 good wheels give 3 similar but different results.

It's also is driven by your eyes perception of touching vs piercing vs my eyes perception of the same.

Wow that sounded really perverted....

Dave

Back up your results with the RDP. For what they charge, you shouldn't have to or at least PADI should give a little lee way but thats the way it is. So says PADI.

I seem to be having the same problem with the Wheel. Although it is aligned correctly, I keep coming up with answers that are slightly off from what the book says that they should be.

My instructor wasn't too worried about it as long as the method of answering was correct and the answers consistent. He says there will be variation from Wheel to Wheel and one perception to the other.

A small difference (typically one pressure group or one time increment) is common, and acceptable. But since your results are "much different", it sounds like a problem. Take it back to where you got it. If that doesn't work, consider contacting PADI. Good luck.

How about giving us an example or three to see just how far here? I would think 1/3 to 1/4 inch would send it off the chart so I can't imagine it being that far off.

Our errors are 1 PG for 1 Dive, but as we add a repeditive dive it gets a little more out of whak each dive(simulated). Also for multilevel the same happens. I talk to the dealer and they said there is no proplem with return or replacement. I actually just measured it and it is actually 1/8" (I over estimated it on my first post), still enough to that on Page 41 of the book fig 5/14, A depth of 60ft for 44 min results in a PG of R, not S as the book shows. by the end of the problem my PG is O, not Q(as in the manual). 2 PG's.

thanks ShakaZulu for pointing me to the other thread.

60ft for 44min...I get a PG of S on my wheel.

R touches the 60ft curve but you want to go by the line that pierces the 60ft curve.

I recently took the PADI EAN course. I had it postponed 2 weeks because of a PADI recall on the EAN tables having an error from the printer. When I finally got the materials, the book had errors too. So, I'm not surprised to hear about the wheel and don't be surprised if the book has errors too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom