Deep6 vs sp mk ii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave12

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hey folks,
My name is Dave, I'm new here.
I'm getting back into diving after a 3 year hiatus. The only reg I have used is my scuba pro mk 2/r195. (Or some crappy rental gear) . To be honest I don't really mind my reg, 99% of my dives aren't deeper than 60ft, usually shore diving around New England.
But with the cost of servicing my reg every year, it seems I could Mabe get better performance out of the deep6 and service it myself. And in a couple years it pays for itself as well.
Will I notice a big difference in performance worth making the switch for?
Thanks a lot for any opinions/replies

Dave

You can service your mk2 yourself. Every year is definitely overkill too on the service interval. Mk2's are about as bulletproof as it gets.

it will be a big jump in performance for you, but mainly from the second stage.

that said, no reason you can't service the mk2 yourself, it's super easy. Manuals easily available online, kits available from @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose . I think the MK2 kit is like $12, and I'm not sure if he has the R190 service kits. Don't know if it's compatible with the 108 kit, but they're not that hard to DIY.

Yearly service is way too frequent for those things if you clean them properly. 5 year service interval is probably more inline with what it should be

First, welcome back to diving!

Now, regarding service - unless you are chasing a "parts for life" contract, annual service is wasting money (and even with one is still a waste). The MK-2 is one of the easiest stages to service (a seat and a few o-rings). The same can be said for the R195. Places like Vintage Double Hose likely have what you need, and the internet is the source for schematics and manuals (frogkick) for those stages. Even a sourced kit from the big auction site can meet your needs.

Annual rebuilds..... learn what your regulator is telling you, and service when necessary. Look for the "regulator checklist" in the DIY section. Learn what your regulator is telling you.

Yes, the deep6 is likely a better performing regulator, but with what you are doing, you have a really dependable set of regulators. Upgrade for "want", not "need".

Again, welcome back to diving. Hope you get to do a bunch.

You can service your mk2 yourself. Every year is definitely overkill too on the service interval. Mk2's are about as bulletproof as it gets.
Where can I get the parts and info on how? Thanks

Thanks for the replies and info guys, I'll likely just service my current set up myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom