Deep stops really worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I believe there are advantages in utilising deep stop during most, if not all dive profiles. I read a lot research and keep myself current with the various views/discussions.

Technical and practical diving knowledge is very important, but for me it is only a framework/base to work from. I am a firm believer of how you feel during and after a dive. No matter the depth or exposure! You should always feel energetic and refreshed after a dive, if you don't you MUST change what you are doing.

Deep Stop, Best gas for depth, accelerated deco EANx, trimix and VPM-B are some of the tools I heavily depend on to keep me safe and feeling great after a dive.

I am a firm believer of how you feel during and after a dive. No matter the depth or exposure! You should always feel energetic and refreshed after a dive, if you don't you MUST change what you are doing.

Totally agree. We diverge on the deep stop as I absolutely can't feel a deep stop benefitting me. I feel better when getting shallow quicker and staying there longer. We're all different, I suppose.

Wow -- thanks for that link! That's one of the best discussions on line that I have read since the old TDS. Some very respected people arguing, and some VERY good data and explanations therefor . . . Maybe I ought to pay more attention to RBW!

I found the study and the other thread a very interesting read as well. I agree with Highwing in that it all depends on how you feel after a dive, our bodies are all different and we all respond differently to decompression and diving. There's a reason so many algorithms exist.

It would be interesting to see the study repeated, however instead of using air for the entire dive, divers use 21/35 as a bottom mix and for deco, EANx50 and O2. I wonder if the lower nitrogen partial pressure and higher PPO2 at the deep stops would stop the slow tissues from continued on gassing, or did the cold play a large portion in stopping effective off gassing on the shallower stops of the deep stop profile...

I wrote a small article on this last year in which we showed how the overpressure gradient is affected by the (lack / or presence of a) deep stop.

The other article that is worth reading is the Doppler 's Five Waypoints and Simple Ascent Behavior

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Interesting that deep stops actual promote the on gassing of slow tissue compartments, having seen Prof Simon Mitchell present on the subject and through speaking to him personally I have abandoned deep stop decompression strategies, by adjusting the gradient factors I use from 15/75 to 40/75,the evidence I have been presented with indicates you are better off getting shallower quicker rather than hanging around deeper.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom