Deep Stops Increases DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The outcome of the study is simple. For a given ascent time, distributing the stops deep produces an increased incidence of DCS relative to the control (shallow stops schedule).

Not for a given ascent time, for THE given ascent time.

Do I need to quote Dr. D for you...he basically said the same thing.

Very adult discussion style by the way. My 3rd grader would be impressed.

Personal choice, WKPP standard...doesn't really matter to me. The fact is that in his opinion moving 5 or 10 minutes of deco to a deeper stop would give him no cause for concern.

Additionally, if you compare zhl16 30/70 to say the navy deco tables, buhlmann is a deep stop model. Where do you draw the line? Are you telling me he dives us navy tables during WKPP dives? He's certainly not diving 100/100. Potato poetatto.

And it wouldn't give me concern either. But let's not pretend that it's better.

Who said that it is? The only camp pretending one algorithm is better than the other right here right now...is you and your boyz. If you think schoolboy sarcasm is going to somehow make your assertions more credible, you are sorely mistaken. Unlike the donkeys that take everything you post about deco as the word of god, some of us are capable of rationally analyzing information and forming our own opinions.

It might beworse.

and given that divers are moving away from vpm and high number low gradient factors, it might just be a real thing.

The average tech diver dives whatever algorithm that they have heard is better(better being undefined).
The majority of people in general are cattle AJ. So if you scream loud enough that deep stops are the devil(which by the way is not shown in this study), people will jump on the bandwagon.
Unless that is, the false assertion is contested as we do here, ultimately uncovering the bottom line for all whom are interested to see.

The bottom line in this thread is that the indication is being made that deep stops will increase your risk for DCS. This is simply not true as it applies to technical diving.

The bottom line in this thread is that the indication is being made that deep stops will increase your risk for DCS. This is simply not true as it applies to technical diving.

Um, no. You're questioning whether 'deep stops=more DCS risk' has been shown to your satisfaction by a particular study. That's a very different animal than asserting that 'deep stops=more DCS risk' is absolutely not true.

As an aside, I and a bunch of other divers I know didn't change our profiles because of loud screaming. We found the some of the loud screaming because we were investigating possible alternatives to deep stop-biased models that left us feeling like :censored: unless padded with a lot of shallow time despite our having a relatively high degree of ascent control and physical fitness. What other divers in this thread specifically, or DIR cave divers generally, are or are not doing with their deco choices really doesn't matter to me. What works for the dives I do matters to me very much. So far, shorter and shallower first stops have been good for me. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom