deep see manta boot or pinnacle apex 6mm boot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

compton384

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I don't know of anywhere I can try both on, but any suggestions on which is more comfortable? I've figured out all my gear but my boots/fins and I'm looking for suggestions on either or both. I'm trying to spend minimally since I am shelling out quite a chunk on everything else, but I would definitely like to be comfortable, so if that means spending a bit more, I guess I will.

I'm just planning on normal recreational diving- coming up, down in T&C, but otherwise, mostly freshwater from our boat or shore. I will likely get the advanced open water eventually but just don't have time right now..

Hi Compton,
if you want to do shore diving, you definitively need boots. Try to get comfy and good ones!

The Manta is a hard sole bootie that can create issues in certain fin pockets, the Apex is a soft sole, slim profile. The Koral King is a better comparison to the Apex. Cheaper too.

I found that the soft sole are more comfortable for me, even on Iron shore. The rocky creek beds I will feel the sharpest of protrusions however did not notice pain. The Hard sole of the Manta works very well in the rough trails if you will be packing in.

The Deep Sea boots are 5mm vs the 6mm of the Apex. You may or may not notice a difference on long dives in warmth depending upon your circulation levels. Stiffness when putting them on is where I noticed a difference, really not much of an issue just different.

If a hard-sole boot (such as the deepsee manta) will fit in your foot pocket, I personally think that is the way to go. I like that the thicker-soled boots fill up the foot pocket better. Plus, even though thick-soled "rock boots" are typically used for walking on rocks, I have found that even when walking along paved streets, the beach, up stairs, etc., I feel much more stable in hard-soled boots. I recently purchased the Pinnacle Barracuda 7mm boots (basically a hard-soled version of the Apex's) and I love them; very comfortable, well-made, great traction and warm. If you can fit a thick boot in your fins, I would get the Manta's or consider spending a little more for the Barracuda's. If you can't fit a rock boot in your fins, or don't care about added stability, then go with the Apex's.

Back
Top Bottom