Deep Sea Divers Den out of Cairns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ECPaul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm in the very early stages of planning a trip to Australia next June, and wanted to spend 4-5 days on a liveaboard out of the Cairns/Port Douglas area. I'm familiar with the Mike Ball operation by way of a number of reports on SB, but I'm also curious to see if anyone has experience with a different liveaboard operation called Deep Sea Divers Den (Cairns Diving, Scuba Diving Great Barrier Reef with Deep Sea Divers Den Cairns, Australia). They seem to operate some very interesting itineraries as well.

I have been on Oceanquest and MV Kangaroo (Cairns Dive Centre) several times and both are well run. Like all diving the quality on the Barrier Reef will vary with weather but you are guaranteed of good marine life and visability.

Be aware that Cairns is probably the busiest dive area in the world so the trips run like clockwork and are normally fully booked.

Accommodation is everywhere in Cairns if you are after good quality budget rooms. The food is also very good and safe both on land and sea.

You will meet people from a variety of countries in particular, Britain, Germany, Japan, US, New Zealand and Australia.

Enjoy, I will be on the MV Kangaroo again myself in June, let us know your dates we might be able to catch up.

I dove with Deep Sea Divers Den back in 2001. I found the operation to be quite good and the experience on board very satisfactory. Keep in mind that the larger on-reef live aboards will be a little bit like cattle boats, but that didn't bother me as I enjoyed the company of divers from all over the world on my surface intervals. Discovered at one point that one of the ladies actually lived here on Catalina, too, at my old home Toyon Bay.

One of the things I really respected was that DSDD actually recognized my c-card from the 60's, although their instructor Paul Crottie had the nerve to call it a "museum piece." Just kidding if you read this, Paul. It was great to see an instructor who knew something about certification agencies before and beyond PADI. However he offered a chance to earn my PADI AOW cert on the live aboard so other dive shops wouldn't keep questioning my Los Angeles County cert (where did they think the early PADI instructors got their training?).

Back in '98 I was on the Oceanquest for three days, Hastings reef I think, Ralph's Rocks one of the sites.

The actual diving was only fair due to the site - used for students doing courses - and very well suited to that purpose too.

I was impressed with the conveyor belt system of diving they had. You are taken out by one boat, do one dive on the way there, then transfer to the mother ship. The boat takes off the crowd of divers that have just finished for transfer to shore.

Well organised, but if I were to return I would go for a liveaboard out of Townsville to get better sites.
Can give a thumbs up to Mike Ball though, had a great time with him in PNG.

Have fun

Seadeuce

Deep Sea Divers Den upgraded their vessel as you can see from their Web Site in about June last year. they now have an excellent range of day boats in Reef Quest and Sea Quest. Reef Quest transfers you to the Liveaboard which remains out at Hastings, Saxon and Norman Reef.

Yes, they have great service, gear is good and the staff will do an excellent job in guiding you around for your dives.

Paul, your profile says that you have a good number of dives under your belt, Some things to consider for your trip here.

1. It's always a good option to consider when doing an extended trip to look at doing a course of some sort e.g Nitrox, photography etc and which company offers what.

2. How deep you would like to dive... traditionally the boats that have Half cert / half learn to dive on board are abit more stringent in the depths you can dive 2.

Finally.. the most important to oversea's visitors. Reef Quality. I agree with the posts, ALL operators have good boats now, good quality service, food and gear and their pricing reflects the trip as they have all been around for age's.

But depending on where you have dived, and what u want to compair your GBR experience to is the difference.

Hope this helps.

regards Andy.

Andy, Dr. Bill, and others:

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I will probably be looking at a 4 - 5 day Coral Seas trip as part of a 3-week New Zealand/Australia tour (I know - not nearly enough time!). Glad to hear that all of the boats are of a high quality these days - most reassuring.

And yes, I am nitrox certified, and am a strong believer in EANx, especially since I really don't venture much below 110', and most often I'm hanging out in the 30 - 70' range watching the little critters and waiting for something big to swim by. Nitrox has been great to have on the couple of liveaboards that I've done in the past, when you are doing 5 dives a day.

So, no definite dates yet for Cairns/Port Douglas - so time for me to get serious and make some airline reservations.

And Andy, you made me think of one of my New Year's resolutions which is to post some of the better of the zillions of pics that I've taken on dives over the years. I've got a little Canon set up and it works great.

Just a quick note Paul,

Please be aware that after your last post, deep Sea Divers Den DOES NOT have nitrox.

I am offering to all who read this ..... Nimrod Explorer 2008 expeditions $50 free nitrox voucher with every booking.

P.S If you go to my phot's you will see an excellent specimen of a Rhinotopius I found at 37 metres on my last Mike Ball expedition. Mike was a TAD upset because he couldnt get it with his new DX

My husband and I will be on the Spirit of Freedom out of Cains January 23rd. Have only been on one other liveaboard, the Naia, Fiji and it was incredible. Hope I enjoy the Spirit as much!!:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom