Deep Sea Detectives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well rackenfritzle! While it was far from a perfect show (for all the above-stated reasons), it was still a good watch for times when I'm nitrogen-deprived. Will miss it! Hopefully they'll re-work the show and find another channel.

I only became aware of John and Richie after reading "Shadow Divers" (like many others, I suspect.)

Having heard all about their show from Diver mag here in the UK, as well as at LIDS etc I finally saw the Andrea Doria episode last night.

Hmm...dear me, how cheesy is *that*? I kept expecting Sheriff John Bunnell (ret.) to pop up. :lol:

john-bunnell.jpg

A shame.

rawls:
Sorry about that WV...Go to www.diveportaldvd.com

The shopping cart is broken. I tried to buy a DVD and was unable to because the charge was @0.59. I emailed them.

I enjoyed the show, but can see why it only lasted a couple of seasons. Outside of divers and naval historians, shipwrecks are not all that interesting. I think the core audience for a show of this nature is way too small for a cable channel like the History Channel. The other problem was that the show was on at some pretty irregular times, which really made it difficult to gain a regular audience. I also would imagine that it was one of the most expensive shows to produce, and without a large audience it didn't make sense to keep it going.

audission:
Hmm...dear me, how cheesy is *that*? I kept expecting Sheriff John Bunnell (ret.) to pop up. :lol:

But I don't think that either John or Richie would be caught dead wearning an "occy." :D

Swan1172:
The other problem was that the show was on at some pretty irregular times, which really made it difficult to gain a regular audience.

I have to Tivo it as it comes on at 3am. But I have about 12 shows saved.

TheRedHead:
The shopping cart is broken. I tried to buy a DVD and was unable to because the charge was @0.59. I emailed them.

It's worth it just to see John eat a raw scallop, then Ritchie gave him this kind of...You didn't just eat a raw scallop look. He hesitated then popped one in himself:)
I'm sure they will get it fixed. Alot more lighthearted and good topics....

I got the purchase straightened out and should get my DVD soon. Frankly, I would rather pay for the DVD and see more diving and less "detective work."

Swan1172:
I enjoyed the show, but can see why it only lasted a couple of seasons. Outside of divers and naval historians, shipwrecks are not all that interesting. I think the core audience for a show of this nature is way too small for a cable channel like the History Channel. The other problem was that the show was on at some pretty irregular times, which really made it difficult to gain a regular audience. I also would imagine that it was one of the most expensive shows to produce, and without a large audience it didn't make sense to keep it going.

I too will miss DSD. While it did have it's short comings, like the irregular times, it was about the only diving show on TV. It's just sad that DSD is being canceled while they still air a show on the history of gummy bears ("America Eats") :frown3: . No wonder this country is overweight...

Thanks John and Richie! :cheers: We'll look forward to your next chapter... Hopefully you'll get a new gig from somebody like Discovery or TLC and it will be in glourious HD!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom