Deep Sea Detectives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was a good basic public audiance type show,,,,not enough dive footage and to much computer graphics and chat,,,,plus they solved very few questions--'We will never know'. Will be missed in general.

Maybe John and Ritchie can pitch the Water Channel and take the place of the ever repeating "Divers Down". Tons of diving on that show. Lots of it in "pretty" places, but some cool stuff.

But the boring host and the repeats kill me.

How about calling it "Tec Divers Down"???

some one once said that there were only two types of TV series .... those that have been canceled and those that are going to get canceled ...... enjoyed Deep Sea Detectives and will miss it along with the original Sea Hunt series ....

Aww shoot, I enjoyed the show, and loved picking apart the way they dove. Hair in mask, bad trim, gear hanging and banging into everything. Made me feel like I was there. I'll miss it.

It's been suggested that it was targeted at a general audience, but I think the problem was a lack of a specific target at all.

As a result, there was not enough diving for the divers and extreme sports types and not enough detail or diving induced drama to interest either of them.

There was ample opportunity to go into techical details to attract the science and technology types, but the most you ever got was a too second look at unexplained equipment. Unless you were a technical diver, that brief exposure was lost on you already.

The history buffs were a possible target, but I suspect they were not impressed as there was very little history covered in anything more than a very elementary level. And the premis that they were "solving" mysteries was pretty hokey, as the work had long been done by someone else. And as indicated above the endelss repetition got old and left you withe the feeling they were filling the available time.

In my opinion, the show would have been better received by more people if it had stuck to it's unique aspects - technical diving in often deep and challenging conditions with very interesting and often high tech equipment.

It could have focused on underwater and on deck footage and tried to capture and convey the feel of technical diving. That would have appealed to the extreme sport crowd, to anyone who liked a little drama and to the science types as well. And you could have reinforced the science/techology side a bit by added a mini-feature in the middle of each show with an equipment review or interview with a manufacturer in a "how it'd made kind of style". That would have also been popular with the divers who would watch it anyway.

Maybe someone else will pick it up on the sports channel, science channel etc with a little more focus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom